Calcutta (inhabited place)
Found in 383 Collections and/or Records:
Half-plate. (Country Almond Tree) - grows in moister regions of India, Bengal, Siam.
The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. Geoffrey F. Fisher, with Mrs. Fisher and others at a garden party at St. Paul's Cathedral during his visit to Calcutta in 1959, 1959
109 x 79 mm. glossy print.
159x109mm. View of the old Bank of Bengal buildings, situated on the Strand Road near the High Court. The building, a two storey affair with attached Ionic columns, rusticated piers and large arched windows, was erected in 1825, (Massey p.50). Photograph credited to Johnston and Hoffman.
296 x 238 mm. View from Chowringhee of the Bengal Club. Bourne no. 1701.
The ‘Bengal Herald’, 8 May 1836 (with article by Burney on Buddhist images at Tagaung) and the ‘Calcutta Literary Gazette’, 8 May 1836, 1836
134 x 100 mm. Once the property of William Wilberforce Bird, it was purchased for Bishop Wilson in 1849: in his diary Laing has wrongly identified the building as the Town Hall, (p. 247).
Miscellaneous monochrome postcards of India. The majority of the photographers and publishers are unknown.
296 x 238 mm. General view of St Paul's Cathedral, situated at the S. end of the Maidan. Bourne no. 1702.
Numbered '21' on bottom left-hand corner.
314 x 191 mm. View looking NW from the Ochterlony Monument, with Government House in the centre of the print. Duplicate of Y3022A/3. Photograph by Samuel Bourne (no 1717).
251x188mm. Showing the 'Govindur' lying on her side half submerged in the Hooghly just opposite the Port Office on Strand Road after the cyclone of 1864, with the wreckage of lighters and other vessels in the foreground, (Massey p.34).
Quarter-plate. [Distant view with Indians hauling logs on trolley in foreground].
204xI46mm. View of the hotel from a similar position to Y3022AA/44. The principal additions to the building visible in this print are the cast-iron arcade along Old Court House Street with a sheltered verandah above (built in 1883), and the construction of an extra storey. Photographer unknown, probably Bourne & Shepherd.