Calcutta (inhabited place)
Found in 382 Collections and/or Records:
289x211mm. View from College Street of the S. facade of the Medical College Hospital, which has a rusticated basement storey with a colonnade running along the full extent of the range above. In the centre is an octostyle portico with columns carrying palm leaf capitals, with pavilions at either end of the building. The hospital was designed and erected by the firm of Burn & Co., and built between 1848-52, (Massey p.17).
229 x 178 mm. pen and ink sketch showing the arrival of a young man from Britain recruited to work on the Assam tea plantations during the late 1840s.
Half-plate. [Print missing]. In front is seen a heavy punching and shearing machine electrically driven; overhead a ten ton electric train; in distance a straightening machine.
Half-plate. In front is seen a heavy punching and shearing machine electrically driven; overhead a ten ton electric train; in distance a straightening machine.
110 x 60 mm. A statue of Lord Curzon forms the centre of the monument.
Original photographic views of Calcutta old and new used in illustrating Mr Montague Massey's 'Recollections of Calcutta for over half a century', in aid of the Red Cross Fund
Quarter-plate. Chowringhee Road, Calcutta.
284x231mm. View looking along the avenue of palmyra palms near the Howrah Gate entrance in the N.W. corner of the Botanical Gardens, (Massey p.2).
320 x 186 mm. View looking SW from the Ochterlony Monument, across the Maidan and towards Fort William and the River Hooghly. See also Y3022AA/3. Bourne no. 1715.
Quarter-plate. [Inscription on tablet above it: The marble pavement below this spot was placed here by Lord Curzon Viceroy and Governor-General in 1901 to mark the site of the prison in Old Fort William known as the Black Hole in which 146 British inhabitants of Calcutta were confined in the night of the 20th June 1756, and from which only 23 came out alive].
246x194mm. View from the south side of Dalhousie Square looking across the Tank towards the Post Office on the west side.
282x197mm. View from the roadway of the premises of Bathgate & Co., chemists, at 17-19 Old Court House Street. The shop is a single storey building, with attached Corinthian columns and a covered porch running from the entrance to the street. The firm was established in Calcutta in 1811 and in the later years of the century was also a photographic supplier, (Massey p.60).
284x209mm. Showing the Chowringhee Road premises of G.F. Kellner, a handsome two storey building erected on the site of a house damaged in the earthquake of 1897. The business was founded c.1857 and later became proprietors of and caterers to refreshment rooms and dining cars on several Indian railways, (Massey p.106).
[Premises of Hall and Anderson, Department Store, junction of Chowringhee Road and Park Street], 1918
285x192mm. View from Chowringhee Road looking S., with the premises of Hall and Anderson at the junction with Park Street. The store is a two storey brick building and was, according to Massey, the first shop to be built in this area, completed about 1911. It was erected on the site of the godown of a French liquor agent named Dollet. The firm of Hall and Anderson was founded in 1891, (Massey p.109).
288x195mm. Head-on view from the street of the flat-roofed, single storey premises of John Dewar & Sons, Ltd., the whisky distillers. Previously the building had been occupied by Old Moore's Investment Rooms, (Massey p.82). Photographer unknown, probably Johnston and Hoffman.