Calcutta (inhabited place)
Found in 382 Collections and/or Records:
Half-plate. [Close up view].
Quarter-plate. From the Hoogly.
140 x 93 mm. This building was completed in 1872, and the photograph shows construction work still in progress on the tower, (p. 229).
Numbered '5' on the bottom left-hand corner.
318 x 190 mm. View from the bank of the river showing sailing vessels and steamers at their moorings.
134 x 100 mm. Showing sailing ships at anchor and Indian boats in foreground, (p. 239).
205x147mm. View of the Lindsay Street frontage of the New Market, opened in 1874, showing the polychrome brick facade of the main (south) entrance with its pinnacles and turrets. Although generally known as the New Market, its more formal title was the Sir Stuart Hogg Market, named after the Chairman of the Calcutta Municipality, (Massey p.96).
Quarter-plate. The Oreodoxa Avenue, Botanical Gardens
203 x 158 mm. (p. 235).
350 x 250 mm. 'Quite unfinished but may serve for colour.'
Quarter-plate. Botanical Gardens.
160 x 114 mm. glossy print with 56 mm. negative.
252x188mm. Showing the steamer 'Thunder' (the property of Apcar & Co.) beached beside the Strand Road at Colvin's Ghat at the west end of Hastings Street after the 1864 cyclone, (Massey p.35).