The Black Hole Monument, 1907-12 - 1908-01
Scope and Contents
Quarter plate. At corner of Dalhousie Square. [Inscription reads: This monument has been erected by Lord Curzon, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, in the year 1902 upon the site and in reproduction of the design of the original monument to the memory of the 123 persons who perished in the Black Hole prison of Old Fort William on the night of the 20th June 1756. The former memorial was raised by their surviving fellow-sufferer J.Z. Holwell, Governor of Fort William, on the spot where the bodies of the dead had been thrown into the ditch of the ravelin. It was removed in 1821].
- 1907-12 - 1908-01
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Finding aid date
- From the File: Fisher, Alfred Hugh, 1867 -1945 (artist and photographer) (Person)