The G.P.O. Calcutta and part of Dalhousie Square, 1907-12 - 1908-01
Scope and Contents
The album now contains photographs numbered in the range 347-511. Added numbers are: 375A, 529B-C, 266A-B, 521A-B, 547A, 510A; spoiled 350, 424, 464 and 467; not used: 348, 357, 359, 365, 365, 388, 404, 405, 431, 446, 449, 465, 466, 485, 502, 503, 509. The photographs are not arranged totally in numerical order within the album so that 529B-C, 266A-B follow 484; 456 follows 490; 521A-B follow 496; 547A follows 511.
Subjects covered in this album are:
Burma: Bhamo; on the Irrawaddy; Datha; Mandalay; Burmese troops; Sagaing; Pakakko; Pagan; criminals on launch; views from railway to Rangoon; Rangoon.
India: Calcutta (harbour, public buildings, jute mills, iron foundry, bazaar, Botanical Gardens, Darjeeling [also known as Darjiling] and Ootacamund [also known Udagamandalam].
- 1907-12 - 1908-01
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
PJ. This extra note is written by John Falconer. G.P.O. Calcutta. Situated on the west side of Dalhousie Square at the corner of Koila Ghat Street, the G.P.O. was designed by Walter B. Granville and opened in 1868.
Finding aid date
- From the File: Fisher, Alfred Hugh, 1867 -1945 (artist and photographer) (Person)