Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Calcutta (inhabited place)

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 382 Collections and/or Records:

 Item

[Premises of Mackenzie, Lyall & Co., Lyon's Range], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/37
Scope and Contents 195x143mm. View of the three storey building called 'The Exchange', and housing the premises of Mackenzie, Lyall & Co., auctioneers and contractors. The precise site of this building has not been located. Massey, who reproduces a painting of this building as well as the photograph, places it in Dalhousie Square. Macmillan p.106 gives the address as Lyon's Range, facing the lane which runs from there to the N.E. corner of the square. The firm of Mackenzie, Lyall was founded by Murdoch...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Martin & Co., Clive Street], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/32
Scope and Contents 278x217mm. View of Nos. 6 and 7 Clive Street, showing the premises of Martin & Co., architects, engineers and contractors. The firm was founded in 1875 by Sir Acquin Martin and amalgamated with Burn & Co. in 1927. The business had extensive interests in light railways as well as other engineering concerns, and was responsible for the erection of many of the most notable buildings raised in Calcutta and elsewhere in India in the early 20th century, among them the Victoria Memorial...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Morrison & Cottle, Esplanade Row East], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/5
Scope and Contents 200x267mm. Showing the five storey premises of Morrison & Cottle, saddlers, shoemakers and taxidermists, at 8 Esplanade Row East. The firm was founded by William Mason in 1884 and was taken over by the Bank of Delhi ten years later. It was then purchased by Morrison & Cottle, who had previously been employed as saddlers in Calcutta. The building was also the head office of Mackintosh, Burn Ltd., who designed and constructed it, (Massey p.101). Photographer unknown, probably Johnston...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Ranken & Co., 4 Old Court House Street], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/43
Scope and Contents

241x270mm. View from the street of Ranken & Co., a heavy, three storey brick building with a covered porch projecting out over the pavement from the main entrance. This firm of tailors was founded in 1770 and became a limited company in 1920, (Massey p.65).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Smith, Stanistreet & Co., Dalhousie Square East], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/40
Scope and Contents

290x179mm. Head-on view from the street of the terrace-roofed two storey premises of Smith, Stanistreet & Co., chemists and druggists. The sign on the frieze above the verandah states that the firm was established in 1821, but no further information has been discovered. The pavement in front of the building has been renovated and a coat of arms signifying the Viceroy's patronage is fixed above the main entrance, (Massey p.41). Probably by Johnston and Hoffman.

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of T.E. Thomson & Co. Ltd., Esplanade Row East], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/6
Scope and Contents 299x147mm. Showing the two storey premises of T.E. Thomson & Co. Ltd., a long low building with pedimented windows, and cast-iron balcony and verandah. Employees are posed in front of the building. This firm of mechanical engineers, ironmongers and motor car and cycle agents was established in 1820 on the site later occupied by the Great Eastern Hotel (see Y3022AA/44-47). It moved to the site at 9 Esplanade Row East in 1853 and these refurbished buildings were completed in 1905....
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Thacker, Spink & Co., Esplanade Row], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/62
Scope and Contents 240 x 285 mm. View from the street showing the five storey block next to Esplanade Mansions at 3 Esplanade Row, occupied by the firm on its completion in 1916. This famous firm of publishers, printers and booksellers was founded by William Thacker, an East India Company surgeon, in 1819, with his wife running the St Andrew's Library. His nephew William Spink joined the firm in 1839 and became a partner in 1851, in which year the firm assumed the name of Thacker, Spink &Co. Their most...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of W. Leslie & Co., Chowringhee Road], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/12
Scope and Contents

286x220mm. View from the street showing the two buildings occupied by the firm of William Leslie & Co., hardware and motor merchants, at 3 and 5 Chowringhee Road. The business was founded in 1890 by William Leslie, who had worked in the hardware field in Calcutta since the 1870s, (Massey p.99).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of WaIter Locke & Co. Ltd., Esplanade Row East], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/1
Scope and Contents 229x269mm. View from the street showing the four storey premises of Walter Locke & Co., situated at 4 Esplanade Row between Thacker, Spink & Co. (see Y3022AA/62) and the Foreign Office. This firm of electrical contractors, motor engineers and sports outfitters was founded as a firearms importer in 1888 and expanded into the motor car and engineering business under the proprietorship of W.J. Bradshaw (d. 1924). Locke's also at this period maintained a garage and works at 14 British...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of William Heath Ltd., Park House, Park Street], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/27
Scope and Contents 285x253mm. View of Park House, situated on the left hand side of the road near the junction between Chowringhee Road and Park Street. A substantial three storey building with arcaded verandahs whose triple arches are supported on square columns with Ionic capitals, a small pediment with scroll patterns in the tympanum and along the friezes, and a dome at one corner. It housed the premises of William Heath Ltd., L.H. Lil Ram, Jewellers, and the Crown Hairdressing Saloon. The tops of the iron...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Present day view of Eden Gardens, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/43
Scope and Contents

283x189mm. The Peel statue has been removed to a spot just outside the gardens and is not visible, a bandstand has been erected, and the tower of the High Court (see Y3022AA/12) can be seen on the skyline, (Massey p.19). Photographer unknown, probably Johnston and Hoffmann.

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Present day view of Government House from Auchterlony (Ochterlony) Monument, 1915 - 1916

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/4
Scope and Contents 252x298mm. View from the same point as Y3022AA/3. The major noticeable differences in the scene are the presence of Esplanade Mansions on Scott Thomson's Corner, Curzon's alterations to the exterior of Government House, the completed dome of the Post Office and the trees planted in Government House gardens along Old Court House Street and on the Esplanade. For a note on the changes in the gardens of Government House, see Curzon i, pp.81-86. The photograph dates from 1915-16: at the extreme...
Dates: 1915 - 1916
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Present day view of the Medical College Hospital], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/49
Scope and Contents

313x182mm. Additional wings can be seen at the sides of the building and the area behind the portico has been projected further outward with the original portico now decreased to a terastyle affair carrying a smaller pediment whose tympanum carries an oval opening, (Massey p.16). Photographer unknown, probably Johnston and Hoffmann.

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Presentation of Colours to Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment Calcutta Dec : 31st 1905, 1905-12-31

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/QM 6/244
Scope and Contents From the File: Contains prints varying in size from approximately 50 x 80 mm to 290 x 249 mm. Captions are handwritten by the Prince of Wales. This records the visit to India of the Prince of Wales (later King George V) and Princess Mary. The front cover is embossed with India 1905-6. Locations depicted include Bombay, Indore, Udaipur, Jaipur, Bikaner, Gajner, Lahore, Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Delhi, Agra, Gwalior, Lucknow, Calcutta, Burma, Madras, Hyderabad and Mysore. There are prints of the arrival of...
Dates: 1905-12-31
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Princes' Hall, Victoria Memorial, 1920 - 1929

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/PC India/6
Scope and Contents From the Sub-Series: Monochrome postcards. The geographical locations of the cards, together with their publishers, breakdown thus:1-9 Calcutta (various anonymous publishers)10-57 Agra (K. Lall and Co.)58-59 Benares (also known as Varanasi - Saeed Bros.)60-75 Lucknow (Omaid Singh and Sons)76-91 Delhi (Lal Chand and Sons, Dariba, Delhi)92-123 Lahore and Amritsar (Punjab Religious Book Society, Lahore)124-129 Burma130-135 Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) coloured (Plate and...
Dates: 1920 - 1929
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Prinsep's Ghat, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/53
Scope and Contents 160x103mm. View from New Strand Road of Prinsep's Ghat, a colonnade of Ionic columns and pilasters built around the landing stage on the Hooghly just below the S.W. corner of Fort William. This was erected in the 1840s by the citizens of Calcutta to honour the memory of James Prinsep (1799-1840), the polymathic assay master of the Calcutta Mint who was in addition architect, artist, engineer and scholar. The ghat was originally at the water's edge, but later land reclamation moved it away...
Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Programme of Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales's visit to Calcutta, 1905

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/RCMS 89/35/2/6
Scope and Contents From the Series:

A collection of programmes, invitations, menus, photographs and other material issued in connection with the Royal Visit to India during 1905-1906.

Dates: 1905
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Proposed site of Victoria Memorial, Calcutta, 1907-12 - 1908-01

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 3/478
Scope and Contents

Half-plate. With St Pauls in distance and golf links in foreground. On the Maidan.

Dates: 1907-12 - 1908-01
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Public engagement in honour of Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales, 1905

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/RCMS 89/35/2/13
Scope and Contents From the Series:

A collection of programmes, invitations, menus, photographs and other material issued in connection with the Royal Visit to India during 1905-1906.

Dates: 1905
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Race Course and Polo Ground - Calcutta, 1907-12 - 1908-01

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 3/479
Scope and Contents

Half-plate (landscape format). [View looking towards stands].

Dates: 1907-12 - 1908-01
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Race Course and Polo Ground - Calcutta, 1907-12 - 1908-01

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 3/480
Scope and Contents

Half-plate (landscape format). [View looking towards stands].

Dates: 1907-12 - 1908-01
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Reception at Calcutta, 1876

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/QM 1/9
Scope and Contents From the File:

An album of prints from original drawings by William Simpson. Size of prints is 185 mm x 110 mm (mounted on card). There is a short introduction, a list of plates and descriptive notes on six of the subjects.

Dates: 1876
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Remains of Col. Turner's House, 2 Wood St., 1864

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/57
Scope and Contents

253x179mm. Showing the ruins of Colonel Turner’s house after the cyclone of 4-5 October 1864. The whole wall of one side of the two storey building has been destroyed, leaving the interior exposed. For personal accounts of the storm, see Massey pp. 28-36 and Samuel R. Elson, ‘Personal memories and reminiscences of the Calcutta Cyclone of the 5th October 1864’ (‘Bengal Past and Present’, vol.II, no.1, January 1908, pp.120-125).

Dates: 1864
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Remains of St James's Theatre, Circular Rd., 1864

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/58
Scope and Contents

247x179mm. Showing the ruins of the theatre after the 1864 cyclone, (Massey p.32).

Dates: 1864
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Royal Calcutta Turf Club's Race Stand, Viceroy's Cup Day, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/38
Scope and Contents

303x173mm. View of the race stand, with crowds attending the meeting, (Massey p.3).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).