Semi-official letters from Singapore to Hong Kong, 1954-1978
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Henry Waugh & Co. Ltd, Henry Waugh Ltd, Jardine Waugh Ltd and Jardine Matheson Holdings (S.E.A.) Ltd, Singapore, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, with enclosed letters and papers. The latter files include letters serving as covering letters to reports, statements and other enclosures, many of which are not included in this series.
The correspondents are A.D. Angus, I.F. Aucott, H.D.M. Barton, Boon Yoon Chiang, D.I. Bosanquet, Chan U Seek, D.R. Davies, G. Ellis, D. Goodman, R. Gordon, R.H. Gunn, D.A.H. Hardy, M.A.R. Herries, J.A. Heywood, F.M.V. Johnstone, H.N.L. Keswick, J.H. Keswick, L.E.C. Letts, R.D.P. Michell, P.A.C. Nevill, D.K. Newbigging, R.B. Polk, H. Sidbury, R.C. Sutton, E.F. Watts and H.A. Waugh.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
20 file(s) (20 ring-binders)
4 folder(s) (4 folders)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
The copies of the letters belonging to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, can be found in J1/151 (1954-1975), J1/299 (1976-1977) and J1/300 (1978), which also include some semi-official letters and enclosures which are not found in this series. The volumes in J1/151 include indexes from 1956 onwards.
From 1965 some of the letters in the series include manuscript headings referring to subject files of Matheson & Co. Ltd (I21/4) which contain copies of the letters.
- Angus, Andrew Drummond, 1921-2013 (businessman)
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Chan, U Seek, 1925-2009 (businessman)
- Chiang, Boon Yoon, b 1935 (businessman)
- Davies, Derek Roy, b 1930 (businessman)
- Ellis, Geoffrey, 1924-1979 (businessman)
- Goodman, David, b 1942
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Gunn, Roger Henry, b 1934
- Hardy, Derek Alexander Hamilton, b 1940 (accountant)
- Herries, Michael Alexander Robert Young-, 1923-1995 (Knight, businessman)
- Heywood, John Axson, b 1937 (businessman)
- Jardine Matheson Holdings (SEA) Ltd
- Johnstone, Fitzroy Montague Veitch, b 1922 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir Henry Neville Lindley, b 1938 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Letts, Lionel Edgar Charles, 1918-2013 (businessman)
- Michell, Rodney Drake Palmer, b 1943 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Kennedy, b 1934
- Polk, Robert Brand, b 1944
- Sidbury, Henry, d 1906 (businessman)
- Sutton, Robert Clive, 1939-2004 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)
- Waugh, Henry Alan, b 1920