Semi-official letters from London to Hong Kong, 1945-1975
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, with enclosed letters and papers. The later files include monthy letters reporting on Matheson & Co. Ltd and weekly letters reporting on developments in London in general. The correspondents are I.F. Aucott, H.D.M. Barton, D.I. Bosanquet, J.J.G. Brown, J.G. Curtis, H. Flint, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, M.S. Henderson, M.A.R. Herries, E.J.V. Hutt, H.N.L. Keswick, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, D.F. Landale, D.P.F. Maxwell, D.S. Middleditch, S. Murray, D.K. Newbigging, D.L. Newbigging, L. Norris, J.F. Owen, J.J. Paterson, R.B. Polk, F.A. Pollock, A. Reid, R. Shoppee, H. Sidbury, W.E.D. Smith, Sir Humphrey Trevelyan and E.F. Watts.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
32 file(s) (32 ring-binders)
16 folder(s) (16 folders)
2 bundle(s) (2 bundles)
1 archive box(es) (1 box)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
J1/138 contains the originals of the correspondence, and includes indexes to the letters.
J1/138 contains the originals of some of the correspondence, including indexes to the letters.
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Brown, Jeremy John Galbraith, 1933-2022 (businessman)
- Curtis, John Gilbert, b 1932
- Flint, Hugh, b 1895 (businessman)
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Henderson, Martin Stuart, b 1943 (businessman)
- Herries, Michael Alexander Robert Young-, 1923-1995 (Knight, businessman)
- Hutt, Eric John Villette, b 1915 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir Henry Neville Lindley, b 1938 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Maxwell, Desmond Peter Forrest, b 1942
- Middleditch, David Seton, 1923-1992 (businessman)
- Murray, Simon, b 1940 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Kennedy, b 1934
- Newbigging, David Locke, 1896-1948 (businessman)
- Norris, Leslie, b 1907 (businessman)
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Polk, Robert Brand, b 1944
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Reid, Alan, 1911-1993 (businessman)
- Shoppee, Reginald, b 1913 (businessman)
- Sidbury, Henry, d 1906 (businessman)
- Smith, William Elder Drummond, 1892-1957 (businessman)
- Trevelyan, Sir Humphrey, 1908-1985 (Baron Trevelyan, diplomat)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)