Private letters: Canton, 1813-1872
Scope and Contents
The correspondents include the following names:
Rutherford Alcock; John Anderson (of London); Peter Anderson; William Henry Anderson; George A. Archer; J.H. Astell.
Samuel Ball; James Bannerman (of the East India Co.); Bartolomeu Barretto; Antonio Lourenço Barretto and Co.; William Baynes; Thomas Beale; Thomas Chay Beale; Beale and Co.; Robert Berry; Francis B. Birley; Birley and Co.; John Blain; George Blight; W.O. Bokee; Bomnajee Hormasjee (Bomanjee Hormarjee); William Bosanquet (supracargo); H.F. Bourne; William Sprott Boyd (also Thomas Podé, pseudonym); Elijah Coleman Bridgman; Isaac M. Bull; William G. Bull (of H.C.S. 'David Scott'); Charles F. Burgett; Abraham Joseph Burley (or J. Burley; Captain of the 'John', 'Zenobia' and 'Falcon'); Byramjee Cooverjee Bhabha.
Callianjee Canjee; A.J. Campbell; British Chamber of Commerce, Canton; British Mercantile Community at Canton, 1859; British subjects at Canton, 1847; Commissioner of Customs, Canton; Comptroller of Customs, Canton; Superintendent of Customs, Canton; Carnegy and Co.; R.H. Chambers (of Lyall, Still and Co.); China Overland Trade Report; Choo (Chief Magistrate of the district of Nan-hai); Frederick W. Coare; Thomas Richardson Colledge; Charles Spencer Compton; Spencer Compton; Joseph Cotton Jnr (2nd member of Select Committee, East India Co.); Thomas Coupar (Captain of the 'Thomas Fielden'); Everard L.H. Crace; John Currie (of Jardine, Matheson and Co.); John Cushing Perkins.
Dadabhoy and Maneckjee Pestonjee (also D. and M. Pestonjee and Dadabhoy and Moneckjee Pestonjee); W.W. Dale; William Dallas (purser of the 'Duke of York'); Richard P. Dana; James Frederick Nugent Daniell (of the East India Company); W.S. Davidson and Co.; John Francis Davis; Warren Delano Jnr (U.S. Vice Consul at Canton); John Dent; Thomas Dent; Wilkinson Dent; Dent and Co.; Dent, Thomas and Co.; G. Dickson (at Honam).
Secretary of Select Committee of the East India Company; East India Trade Association, London; Robert Edwards; Adam Wallis Elmslie; Edward Elmslie; Thomas Everard.
Fairlie, Bonham and Co.; William E. Farrer; Edward Fischer (agent of Jardine Matheson, Yokohama and Osaka); Maximilian Fischer; George V.W. Fisher; Jose A. da Fonseca; Framjee Pestonjee; William Fraser.
Patrick Gifford; Gifford and Co.; George B. Glover (Commissioner of Maritime Customs, Canton); John Henry Gray; W.F. Gray; John N. Alsop Griswold; Charles Gutzlaff (Karl Friedrich August Gützlaff).
J.B. Hallam; W.H. Hamilton; His Excellency Hang, Comptroller of Maritime Customs, Canton; Henry H. Harker; W.M. Harper; J.A. Haste; William Hastings (of Jardine, Matheson and Co.); Augustine Heard and Co.; John Hine (Captain of the 'Earl of Balcarres'); Holliday, Wise and Co.; Hong Merchants (Cohong); Hop Kee; George Horback; Robert Alexander Houstoun; Howqua; Howqua Senior.
Ilbery and Co.; Ilbery, Fearon and Co.; James Innes.
[ ] Jardine; David Jardine (partner, Jardine, Matheson and Co.); Joseph Jardine; Sir Robert Jardine, 1st Baronet; William Jardine; G. Jellicoe (Captain of the 'Duke de Beja'); Stephen P. Johannes.
William Keswick; E.M. King (U.S. Consul, Canton).
John Richardson Latimer; Peter George Laurie (of Jardine, Matheson and Co.); William Leslie; Lindsay and Co.; John Livingstone; John Christopher Lochner (Captain of H.C.S. 'Lady Melville'); George Lungley (of the 'Lady Hayes'); Charles Lyall; George Lyall; Lyall, Matheson and Co.
Francis Coleman Macgregor (of the British Consulate); Thomas W.L. MacKean; D.W. McKenzie and Co.; Malcolm Anderson Macleod (junior partner, Jardine, Matheson and Co.); Alexander Wentworth Macpherson; Charles Magniac (brother of Hollingworth and Daniel); Daniel Snaith Magniac; Herbert St Leger Magniac; Hollingworth Magniac; F. Mansbach (Secretary to Danish Government at Serampore); Henry Davies Margesson; Margesson and Co.; Richard Markwick; [ ] Matheson; Alexander Matheson; Donald Matheson; (Nicholas) James Sutherland Matheson (also 'Santiago Thomasen', pseudonym); John A.T. Meadows; Theophilus John Metcalfe; John Millar; Charles Millett (of the East India Co.); James Molony (of the Select Committee, East India Company); Molony and Roberts; Moul and Co.; John T. Mounsey.
Chief Magistrate of Nan-nai; William Napier; Thomas George Newton (tea inspector for Jardine, Matheson and Co.); Matthew Noall (Captain of the 'Saint Ja'); Gideon Nye; Nye, Parkin and Co.
Thomas Scruton Odell (tea inspector for Jardine, Matheson and Co.); A.P. Olding (Agent, P. and O.); David Washington Cincinnatus Olyphant; Olyphant and Co.; Charles W. Orne (of Augustine Heard and Co.); Eugenio de Otadui.
Parkyns and Co. (?); Francis Parry; William Paterson (partner, Jardine, Matheson and Co.); Thomas Charles Pattle; Payva, Viuva and Filhos; Dr Alexander Pearson; Alexander Perceval; Oliver H. Perry (United States Consul); Edward Pettit; Phenix Insurance Office; F. Piñeyro; William Henry Chicheley Plowden (Secretary, Select Committee, East India Co.); James Purdon and Co.; John Purvis.
S. Rawson; John Rees (Captain of the 'Dansborg', 'Kronberg', 'Colonel Young', 'Austin' and 'Lady Hayes'); E. Reimers; Reiss and Co.; Remington and Co.; John Rickett (Captain of the 'Austin'; Secretary of the Hong Kong Club; and surveyor, Canton Insurance Office); James Thomas Robarts; John Robertson (Captain of the 'Stornaway' and 'Cairngorm'); A.A. de Rocha (purser of the 'Canton' and 'Lily'); Rothschild and Sons; H. Vernon Russell (Captain of S.S. 'Corea' and S.S. 'Appin'); Russell and Co.; Russell and Sturgis); Henry Rutter; Charles Ryder.
Saboodeen Guttay; Sadoodeen Shaik Ally Coor; Anthony Scanlan (Captain of the 'Hellas'); Adam Scott; M.J. Senn van Basel (Acting Netherlands Consul); Senn van Basel toe Laer and Co.; Secretary to Danish Government at Serampore; Alexander Shank (T. Beale and Co., China); John Shaw (barrister; eldest son of Thomas Shaw, late of Bengal); John Shillaber; Theodore Shillaber; A. da Silveira; Henry Skinner (of Macao and Honolulu); Small Colquhoun and Co.; C.T. Smith; George Mackrill Smith; John Abel Smith (partner, Magniac, Smiths and Co.); Smith, Kennedy and Co.; Sorabjee Cooverjee; L. de Souza; Joseph Stanton (Captain of H.C.S. 'General Harris'); Charles Thomas van Straubenzee; Robert Shaw Sturgis; Russell Sturgis (of Russell, Sturgis and Co. and Baring Bros and Co.); Captain Thomas Sullivan.
William Tarrant; Thomas and Mercer; Charles Thomas; Thomas Thomas; Edward Townend; Danish Government at Tranquebar; Richard Turner and Co. (of Canton).
George Urmson; Martha Urmson; James Brabazon Urmston.
Seraphin Van Caneghem; A. Viegas.
William Wallace (of Gledstones and Co.; in Canton 1838); Watts and Co.; Wetmore and Co.; Wetmore, Williams and Co.; Whiteman and Co.; [ ] Whittall; Edward Whittall; James Whittall; Benjamin Chew Wilcocks; Franklin Delano Williams (Agent, Wetmore and Co.); John Williams; J.A. Wilson (of S.S. 'Spark'); Charles Alexander Winchester; Henry Wright (partner, Jardine, Matheson and Co.).
Conditions Governing Access
The original letters are not available to readers, but microfilm copies may be ordered in the Manuscripts Reading Room - Reels 28 (letters P1-199), 29 (P200-648), 30 (P649-1155), 282 (P1156-1518), 283 (P1519-1761), 284 (P1762-2072), 285 (P2073-2308) and 286 (2309-2492).
2492 item(s) (2492 letters)
Language of Materials
- Alcock, Sir Rutherford, 1809-1897 (Knight and diplomat)
- Augustine Heard and Co
- Baynes, Sir William, 1789-1866 (2nd Baronet)
- Currie, John, c 1817-1851 (merchant)
- Cushing, John Perkins, 1787-1862 (merchant)
- Davis, Sir John Francis, 1795-1890 (1st Baronet, Governor of Hong Kong)
- Dent, Wilkinson, 1800-1886 (businessman, China merchant)
- Elmslie, Adam Wallis, d 1875 (diplomat)
- Fischer, Maximilian, d 1872 (merchant)
- Fraser, Sir William, 1787-1827 (2nd Baronet)
- Gray, John Henry, 1823-1890 (Archdeacon of Hong Kong)
- Gützlaff, Karl Friedrich August, 1803-1851 (German missionary)
- Heard, Augustine, 1785-1868 (merchant)
- Houstoun, Robert Alexander, 1838-1879 (merchant)
- Jardine, David, 1818-1856 (merchant)
- Jardine, Joseph, 1822-1861 (merchant)
- Jardine, Sir Robert, 1825-1905 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)
- Jardine, William, 1784-1843 (physician and merchant)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Macpherson, Alexander Wentworth, b 1824
- Magniac, Charles, 1776-1824 (merchant)
- Magniac, Daniel Snaith, 1797-1879
- Magniac, Herbert St Leger, 1830-1879 (merchant)
- Magniac, Hollingworth, 1786-1867 (merchant)
- Margesson and Co
- Margesson, Henry Davies, 1822-1869
- Matheson, Donald, 1819-1901 (merchant)
- Matheson, Sir Alexander, 1805-1886 (1st Baronet, merchant and banker)
- Matheson, Sir Nicholas James Sutherland, 1796-1878 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)
- Metcalfe, Sir Theophilus John, 1783-1822 (2nd Baronet, Indian civil servant)
- Nye, Gideon, 1812-1888 (merchant)
- Olyphant, David Washington Cincinnatus, 1789-1851 (merchant)
- Paterson, William, 1842-1914 (merchant)
- Perceval, Alexander, 1821-1866 (merchant)
- Russell and Co
- Straubenzee, Sir Charles Thomas Van, 1812-1892 (Knight, General)
- Tarrant, William, d 1872 (editor of The Friend of China)
- Urmston, Sir James Brabazon, 1785-1850 (Knight, Supercargo of the East India Co)
- Whittall, Edward, d 1900 (merchant)
- Whittall, James, 1827-1893 (merchant)
- Winchester, Charles Alexander, d 1883 (diplomat)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org