Found in 466 Collections and/or Records:
290 x 234 mm. A view looking over the lake in Carlton Gardens towards the building with its huge central dome. Designed by the architects Reed and Barnes, it covered over 20 acres together with the temporary annexes. One of the triumphs of the building, and of the exhibition, was an electricity generator which cost £60,000 to install.
287 x 235 mm. A view looking along the hall, which is set out with chairs, towards the wall where the organ stands. With flags of different nations hanging above the nave and countries’ exhibits leading off from the sides.
Landscape format. Just inside the Heads, near Port Melbourne. [Seascape].
A portrait of William Haines 'from a daguerreotype by T.A. Hill' and a description of his life in public service. The page is undated, but refers to Haines occupying the Legislative Assembly seat for South Grant in the new Parliament, which he held 1856-1858.
181 x 131 mm. A view of the Post Office, which stands at the junction of Elizabeth and Bourke Street. Built between 1859-1867, the building is seen here without the third storey and enlarged clocktower which were completed in 1889.
204 x 142 mm. A view of the iron bridge, set on stone supports, which was built in 1888. The St. Kilda Road crosses the bridge which is situated just to the west of the Domain and the Botanical Gardens. This photograph is taken from Alexandra Gardens looking across the bridge to the north side of the city.
201 x 127 mm. A view looking towards Spring Street, on which the theatre and hotel are built. This extravagant theatre was completed in 1887.
202 x 180 mm. A view of the theatre from the other side of Spring Street. The building, a mixture of styles and decorations, was designed by William Pitt, and was built in 1886-7, including such attractions as electric lighting and a roll-back ventilating roof.
Programmes, guides, journals and one map relating to the Royal Visits to Jamaica, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Ceylon, Aden, Uganda, Malta and Gibraltar. There is also a report of Barclays Bank D.C.O. Much of the material relates to the tour of Australia.
183 x 130 mm. A view from across Swanston Street showing the front of the Library. For other photographs, and a brief history of the building, see Y3087D/16 and Y3087/G1-9.
Landscape format. In front is seen the rock with a buoy on it marking the spot where the Himalaya was wrecked.
188 x 144 mm. A view of the quartz crushing machines, with the watersluices in the foreground which separate the crushed rock from the gold. The photograph is in fact taken in Bendigo by N.J. Caire and also occurs in Y3087/C5.
204 x 148 mm. A view of the business centre of Melbourne, with offices along the street and a factory in the distance. With a row of horse cabs in the centre of the street awaiting customers.
183 x 129 mm. A view of a different section of the wharf showing the end of a jetty in the foreground, with steam and sailing ships moored in the harbour beyond.
184 x 129 mm. A view looking along the wharf showing steam and sailing ships moored in the harbour. The wharf itself is a busy scene, with workers either posing for the camera or operating a crane on the jetty.
Landscape format. The Quarantine Station: from the Omrah. [Queenscliff hardly visible].
Landscape format. [A distant view].
290 x 231 mm. A view showing fishing and agricultural produce from Queensland, with a pyramid built of oyster shells in the foreground.
199 x 147 mm. A view looking along a wharf, on both sides of which steamers and sailing ships are moored, with a railway line along the pier. Williamstown is at the extremity of a curving spit of land which forms the Western Half of Hobson’s Bay and extends out into Port Phillip.
The Royal Visit issue (No. 146, December 1953/January 1954) of the pamphlet of the Royal Empire Society's Victorian Branch.