Semi-official letters from Singapore to Sydney, 1963-1977
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Waugh Ltd and Jardine Matheson Holdings (S.E.A.) Ltd, Singapore, to Jardine Matheson, Sydney. The series begins with letters to G.R.B. Patterson, Resident Representative in Australia and New Zealand of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd, Jardine Waugh Ltd and the Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd, 1963-1964. Following the establishment of the company's office at Sydney in July 1964, the letters are addressed to Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Australia) Pty Ltd and (from 1974) Jardine Matheson Australia Ltd. The correspondents are Boon Yoon Chiang, Melvin Chan, Chan U Seek, D.R. Davies, W.G.P. Davies, B. Dickinson, G. Ellis, A.M. Fisher, J.A. Heywood, F.M.V. Johnstone, S.L. Keswick, L.E.C. Letts, E.A. Lowe, R.D.P. Michell, G.R.B. Patterson, R.B. Polk and R.C. Sutton.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
3 file(s) (3 ring-binders)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
J1/169 contains the copies of the letters belonging to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, for the years 1963-1974. Some of the letters in the series have manuscript headings referring to subject files of Matheson & Co Ltd (I21/4) which also contain copies of the letters.
- Chan, U Seek, 1925-2009 (businessman)
- Chiang, Boon Yoon, b 1935 (businessman)
- Davies, Derek Roy, b 1930 (businessman)
- Davies, Wilfred George Philip, b 1921
- Dickinson, Brian, b 1931 (businessman)
- Ellis, Geoffrey, 1924-1979 (businessman)
- Fisher, Alan Maxwell, 1922-1972 (businessman)
- Heywood, John Axson, b 1937 (businessman)
- Jardine Matheson Holdings (SEA) Ltd
- Johnstone, Fitzroy Montague Veitch, b 1922 (businessman)
- Keswick, Simon Lindley, b 1942 (businessman)
- Letts, Lionel Edgar Charles, 1918-2013 (businessman)
- Lowe, Eric Arthur, b 1918
- Michell, Rodney Drake Palmer, b 1943 (businessman)
- Patterson, George R B, fl 1920-1976 (businessman and trade commissioner)
- Polk, Robert Brand, b 1944
- Sutton, Robert Clive, 1939-2004 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com