Semi-official letters from Hong Kong to Singapore, 1954-1978
Scope and Contents
An incomplete series of copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Henry Waugh & Co. Ltd, Henry Waugh Ltd, Jardine Waugh Ltd and Jardine Matheson Holdings (S.E.A.) Ltd, Singapore, with enclosed letters and papers. Between 1970 and 1974 the letters include weekly circular letters from Hong Kong reporting on local developments. These letters were excluded from the files from November 1974 and replaced by notes indicating that the missing letters were weekly letters sent to multiple offices.
The correspondents are A.D. Angus, I.F. Aucott, H.D.M. Barton, Boon Yoon Chiang, D.I. Bosanquet, J.J.G. Brown, I.D. Bruce, W.J. Downey, D.C. le F. Edwards, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, M.A.R. Herries, J.A. Heywood, E.J.V. Hutt, F.M.V. Johnstone, H.N.L. Keswick, J.H. Keswick, S.L. Keswick, R.C. Kwok, D.W.N. Landale, L.E.C. Letts, D.D.B. McLeod, G.L. Marshall, R.E. Moore, D.K. Newbigging, G.M.R. Pearson, R. Shoppee, H. Sidbury, M.M. Smith, E.F. Watts and H.A. Waugh.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
19 file(s) (19 ring-binders)
3 folder(s) (3 folders)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 August 2014.
Existence and Location of Copies
The copies of the letters belonging to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, can be found in J1/129 (1954-1975), J1/299 (1976-1977) and J1/300 (1978), which also include the weekly letters missing from the latter part of this series. J1/129 contains indexes to the letters.
- Angus, Andrew Drummond, 1921-2013 (businessman)
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Brown, Jeremy John Galbraith, 1933-2022 (businessman)
- Bruce, Ian Denholm, 1912-1966 (businessman)
- Chiang, Boon Yoon, b 1935 (businessman)
- Downey, William James, 1934-2013
- Edwards, David Corbett le Fowne, b 1939 (businessman)
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Herries, Michael Alexander Robert Young-, 1923-1995 (Knight, businessman)
- Heywood, John Axson, b 1937 (businessman)
- Hutt, Eric John Villette, b 1915 (businessman)
- Jardine Matheson Holdings (SEA) Ltd
- Johnstone, Fitzroy Montague Veitch, b 1922 (businessman)
- Keswick, Simon Lindley, b 1942 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir Henry Neville Lindley, b 1938 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Kwok, Robert Chin-kung, b 1938 (businessman)
- Landale, Sir David William Neil, 1934-2016 (Knight, businessman)
- Letts, Lionel Edgar Charles, 1918-2013 (businessman)
- Marshall, George Lawrence, 1911-1965 (accountant)
- McLeod, David Dunlop Bentley, b 1932 (businessman)
- Moore, Raymond Edward, b 1928 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Kennedy, b 1934
- Pearson, George Matthew Raymond, b 1917 (businessman)
- Shoppee, Reginald, b 1913 (businessman)
- Sidbury, Henry, d 1906 (businessman)
- Smith, Michael Inglis Monro, b 1930 (engineer)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)
- Waugh, Henry Alan, b 1920