Private letters: Macao, 1813-1872
Scope and Contents
The correspondents include the following names:
A.V. de R. Aggersborg; J.H. Astell.
Bartolomeu Barretto; Bartolomeu Antonio Barretto; Antonio Lourenço Barretto and Co.; William Baynes; Thomas Beale; Thomas Chay Beale; W. Bell; Bell and Co.; William Blenkin; George Blight; William Sprott Boyd (also Thomas Podé, pseudonym); George Thomas Braine; Guilherme Francisco Bramston.
Lorenzo Calvo; L. Calvo and Co.; A. Campbell; T.A. Chaldecott; William Clifton (Captain of the 'Red Rover'); Frederick William Coles; Consequa; Joseph Coolidge; Joseph Cotton Jnr (2nd member of Select Committee, East India Co.); Adam Howden Crawford; John Currie (of Jardine, Matheson and Co.).
Dadabhoy Pestonjee; Daniell and Co.; Richard Bell Davies; James J. Dawson; John Denham; Wilkinson Dent; Dent and Co.; João de Deos de Castro (J. Castro); Dinshaw Furdoonjee; Dirom and Co.
Pedro de Echeverrigaray; Charles Elliot; James Bridges Endicott (uncle of Henry C. Endicott); John Fullerton Elphinstone; Exchin.
Christopher Fearon; A. Fincham; E.M. Firmin (of Elles and Co.); George V.W. Fisher; Angus Fletcher; Jose A. da Fonseca; Fox, Rawson and Co.; A. and D. Furdoonjee.
William and Thomas Gemmell and Co.; Gibb, Livingston and Co.; Gribble, Hughes and Co.; Charles Gutzlaff (Karl Friedrich August Gützlaff).
[ ] Heard; Augustine Heard and Co.; Andrew Henderson (of the 'Forbes' and 'Water Witch'); Heerjeebhoy Rustomjee (also Herjeebhoy Rustonjee and Hejeebhoy Rustomjee); Benjamin Hobson; J. des Amorie van der Hoeven; Holliday, Wise and Co.; Land Officer, Hong Kong; Hong Merchants (Cohong); George Horback; [ ] Hunter; William C. Hunter.
James Innes; Innes Fletcher and Co.
Jalbhoy Cursetjee (of Bombay); Jamieson and How; [ ] Jardine; Andrew Jardine; David Jardine (partner, Jardine, Matheson and Co.); Joseph Jardine; Sir Robert Jardine, 1st Baronet; William Jardine.
King and Co.
E.L. Lança; Lindsay and Co.; Messrs. Leighton; Theophilus Gee Linstead; John Livingstone; Anders Ljungstedt (Andrew Ljungstedt); William Lockhart.
Govenor of Macao; Deputy for the Judge of the Judicial Department, Macao; A. McCulloch; William Mackay (Captain of the 'John Biggar' and 'Fairy'); Alexander Wentworth Macpherson; Macvicar and Co.; Charles Magniac (brother of Hollingworth and Daniel); Daniel Snaith Magniac; Herbert St Leger Magniac; Hollingworth Magniac; George Alexander Malcolm (Major, 3rd Dragoons); Manhop; Trustees for the creditors of Manhop; Margesson and Co.; Henry Davies Margesson; Charles Marjoribanks (East India Co.); Dr Samuel Marjoribanks (of the British Consulate, Canton); Alexander Matheson; Donald Matheson; (Nicholas) James Sutherland Matheson (also 'Santiago Thomasen', pseudonym); Federico Albino de Mesquita; Theophilus John Metcalfe; John Middleton (of Middleton and Co.); Mary Middleton; James Molony (of the Select Committee, East India Company); John Robert Morrison; Mortimer Evelyn Murray (British Vice-Consul, Macao).
Thomas George Newton (tea inspector for Jardine, Matheson and Co.); Gideon Nye.
Thomas Scruton Odell (tea inspector for Jardine, Matheson and Co.).
Payva, Viuva and Filhos; Dr Alexander Pearson; James Pearson (of the 'Lady of the Lake'); William P. Peirce; Alexander Perceval; B.A. Pereira; Francisco Antonio Pereira da Silveira (notary); Oliver H. Perry (United States Consul); N.G. Peter; Poonqua; Henry Pottinger; Henry Pybus.
J.M. Ralph; Rascon Castanos and Co.; H. Ravenshaw; John Rees (Captain of the 'Dansborg', 'Kronberg', 'Colonel Young', 'Austin' and 'Lady Hayes'); Gregorio Jose Ribeiro (Secretary to the Governor of Macao; Colonial Secretary, Macao); John Rickett (Captain of the 'Austin'; Secretary of the Hong Kong Club; and surveyor, Canton Insurance Office); James Thomas Robarts; Oliver Everett Roberts (of Wetmore and Co.; U.S. Commissioner of Claims in China); Patrick Francis Robertson; George Best Robinson; Russell and Co.; D. and M. Rustomjee and Co. (also Dadabhoy and Manackjee/Maneckjee Rustomjee); James Ryan.
Januário Agostinho de Almeida, Barão de São José de Porto Alegre; Franz Sebastian Schütze (of Margesson and Co.); Alexander Shank (of T. Beale and Co., China); John Shillaber; L.J. da Silva; A. da Silveira; Adrião Accacio da Silveira Pinto; John Slade; Gilbert Smith; John Smith (fl. 1841-1844); Camillo Lelis Souza; Joaquim de Souza; James Starkey (of the 'Thistle'); Patrick Stewart; William Strachan (Captain of the 'Lady Hayes'); James Perkins Sturgis.
Charles Thomas; Mary Croft Turner (wife of Richard Turner); Turner and Co.
Roza Maria Ullman; James Brabazon Urmston.
Joaquim Jozé Ferreira Veiga.
John Elliott Ward; T.B. Watson; Messrs Webster; James Whittall.
Joaquin Ybar; Yrisarri and Co.; Gabriel de Yruretagoyena (G. Goyena).
Conditions Governing Access
The original letters are not available to readers, but microfilm copies may be ordered in the Manuscripts Reading Room - Reel 31 (P1-196) and 32 (P197-665).
665 item(s) (665 letters)
Language of Materials
- Almeida, Januário Agostinho de Almeida, 1759-1825 (Barão de São José de Porto Alegre)
- Augustine Heard and Co
- Baynes, Sir William, 1789-1866 (2nd Baronet)
- Currie, John, c 1817-1851 (merchant)
- Dent, Lancelot, 1799-1853 (merchant)
- Dent, Wilkinson, 1800-1886 (businessman, China merchant)
- Elliot, Sir Charles, 1801-1875 (Knight, Admiral and colonial governor)
- Elphinstone, John Fullerton, 1788-1854 (supercargo of the East India Company)
- Gützlaff, Karl Friedrich August, 1803-1851 (German missionary)
- Hobson, Benjamin, 1816-1873 (medical missionary)
- Jardine, Andrew, 1812-1881 (merchant)
- Jardine, David, 1818-1856 (merchant)
- Jardine, Joseph, 1822-1861 (merchant)
- Jardine, Sir Robert, 1825-1905 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)
- Jardine, William, 1784-1843 (physician and merchant)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Ljungstedt, Sir Anders, 1759-1835 (Knight, merchant and historian)
- Lockhart, William, 1811-1896 (missionary)
- Macpherson, Alexander Wentworth, b 1824
- Magniac, Charles, 1776-1824 (merchant)
- Magniac, Daniel Snaith, 1797-1879
- Magniac, Herbert St Leger, 1830-1879 (merchant)
- Magniac, Hollingworth, 1786-1867 (merchant)
- Malcolm, George Alexander, 1810-1888 (Major)
- Margesson and Co
- Margesson, Henry Davies, 1822-1869
- Marjoribanks, Samuel, d 1860 (surgeon)
- Matheson, Donald, 1819-1901 (merchant)
- Matheson, Sir Alexander, 1805-1886 (1st Baronet, merchant and banker)
- Matheson, Sir Nicholas James Sutherland, 1796-1878 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)
- Metcalfe, Sir Theophilus John, 1783-1822 (2nd Baronet, Indian civil servant)
- Morrison, John Robert, 1814-1843 (Colonial Secretary of Hong Kong)
- Nye, Gideon, 1812-1888 (merchant)
- Parker, Peter, 1804-1888 (medical missionary)
- Perceval, Alexander, 1821-1866 (merchant)
- Pottinger, Sir Henry, 1789-1856 (1st Baronet, soldier and diplomat)
- Robinson, Sir George Best, 1797-1855 (2nd Baronet)
- Russell and Co
- Souza, Camillo Lelis, d 1882 (merchant)
- Urmston, Sir James Brabazon, 1785-1850 (Knight, Supercargo of the East India Co)
- Ward, John, 1825-1896 (naval officer and surveyor)
- Whittall, James, 1827-1893 (merchant)