Semi-official and property correspondence of the Yangtsze Ports, 1920-1927
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official and property correspondence of the offices of Jardine, Matheson & Co. in the Upper Yangtsze Ports (Changsha, Chengtu, Chungking, Hankow and Ichang) and Lower Yangtsze Ports (Chinkiang, Kiukiang, Nanking and Wuhu), including correspondence with Jardine Matheson, Shanghai. There are also enclosed letters and papers, including telegrams and trade and monthly reports.
The correspondents are J.R. Allan, R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, C.C. Boyd, R.E. Coxon, A.W. Davidson, R.H. Davidson, W. Divens, W.S. Dupree, J.P.B. Eastwood, J.F. Feely, S.E. Grimstone, C. Hodgson, T.S.H. Hoey, G.M. Jameson, John Johnstone, W. Laidlaw, J. McGuffog, J.F. Owen, J.J. Paterson, F.A. Pollock, G. Purton, J.H. Ratcliff, E.F. Ratti, A. Ross, A.E. Shepherd, G.W. Sheppard, A. Brooke Smith, J.C. Taylor, Captain Tully, C.B. Tweedy and Captain C.B. Wortley.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
7 volume(s) (7 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J30
- Allan, James Robert Angus, b 1896 (businessman)
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Divens, William, c 1884-1928
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Eastwood, John Patrick Basil, b 1889 (businessman)
- Feely, Joseph Francis, 1893-1952 (businessman)
- Grimstone, Sydney Ernest, b 1893
- Hodgson, Christopher, b 1892
- Hoey, Thomas Stewart Hamilton, 1890-1942 (businessman)
- Jameson, George Moncrieff, b c 1890
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Laidlaw, William, b c 1884
- McGuffog, James, d 1956
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Purton, Geoffrey Charles, b 1873
- Ratti, Edmund Francis, b 1891 (businessman)
- Ross, Andrew, b 1877 (businessman)
- Shepherd, Arthur Edward, b 1889
- Sheppard, George Walter, d 1943 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)
- Taylor, John Cameron, 1890-1950 (businessman)
- Tweedy, C.B., b 1887 (businessman)