Maputo (inhabited place)
Found in 28 Collections and/or Records:
150 x 207 mm. An African woman with a baby on her back and with a wide round container with a narrow base balanced on her head. Ethnic group unidentified. Signed ‘J. & M. Lazarus, Photos Lço Marques’.
201 x 153 mm. View looking down the avenue to the harbour and Delagoa Bay with the club in the left foreground. Signed ‘J. Lazarus Photo’.
205 x 156 mm. Showing the two storey square building, a smallish compact house with verandahs on both floors. The garden, in which the Union Jack flies from a flagpole, is surrounded by metal fencing. The consulate was situated in the centre of Lourenço Marques, at the heart of the commercial district. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo’.
207 x 153 mm. Showing the newly built cathedral with part of the harbour visible in the background. There are signs that this photograph was taken before the completion of the building: the clock is as yet without hands and statues have not yet been placed in the niches beside the door. Presumably it is Nossa Santiora da Conceicao situated in the Praça Serpa Pinto. Proposals for a new cathedral were made in 1902, but it is not certain when it was completed. Signed ‘J. Lazarus Photo’.
206 x 152 mm. View looking along coconut palms silhouetted against the skyline with small plots of cultivated land in the foreground. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo.’
204 x 155 mm. Showing the road leading into the Enclosure with a new-looking single storey crenulated building at the right. Whether this is the Customs House is unclear. A new building was proposed as early as 1904 but for several years the department was housed in rental accommodation while the new premises was built on the site of the old Railway Station. They were not occupied until 1911 by which time the Lazarus Brothers had left Lourenço Marques. Signed ‘J & M Lazarus, Photos’.
153 x 207 mm. View of the bay with moonlight shimmering on the waves and ships at anchor. Probably a photograph taken in daylight and deliberately printed dark. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo.’
192 x 139 mm. Showing part of the harbour with lighters berthed at the stone wharf, and the single storey building of the Old Fort in the background. Signed ‘J.E.M. Photo’ (presumably 'J. et M. Lazarus’.)
205 x 153 mm. Showing the drawing room of a house, presumably that in Y30468S/31. The mount shares a similar imprint.
207 x 153 mm. Showing two of the kiosks which housed small businesses and stood at the corners of the main squares. These probably stood on the Rua D.Luiz on the northern end of the Praça Mousinho D’Albuquerque, with the Governor’s Secretary’s building and the Civil Police Station in the background. If this is so, then the absence of tram lines would date the print to pre-1904. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo.’
167 x 114 mm. [Missing]. A print mounted on card, showing a similar portion of the town and harbour of Lorenco Marques as in Y305J/131. Some of the turrets of the Old Armoury (largely concealed by a hill) can be seen at the extreme right of the print.
207 x 152 mm. A general view of Lorenco Marques from the sandhills behind the town. The Old Armoury stands in the foreground with the wharf area and harbour beyond.
205 x 156 mm. View from the sandy hills to the northeast looking down on to Lourenço Marques and the estuary of the English River as it enters Delagoa Bay. The old Powder Magazine is in the foreground with wharfs and the dock area beyond. Signed ‘J. Lazarus. Photo.’
206 x 152 mm. Showing a group of Chopi men performing a stick dance, watched by a crowd of women in the foreground. The meaning of ‘mshongolo’ has not been determined but is possibly a corruption or earlier form of ‘msahone’, the Chopi term for a dancing place or performance. See Hugh Tracey, ‘Chopi musicians, their music, poetry and instruments’ (London, 1970), pp. 85-6. Signed ‘J. & M. Lazarus, Photos’.
191 x 140 mm. View from near the seashore up towards the hill on which the magazine stands. Signed ‘J.E.M. Photo’.
207 x 152 mm. Showing the wooden passenger pier at Lourenço Marques with small boats moored beside it and steamers at anchor in the harbour. Signed ‘J & M Lazarus, Photos’.
207 x 153 mm. View from above Lourenço Marques looking along the foreshore towards the headland of Reuben Point with residential houses on top of the hillside. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo.’
204 x 155 mm. Showing the single storey building with a flagstaff behind and the harbour beyond. Above the verandah is the legend ‘Capitania Do Porto’. Photograph taken from the Rue Do Tte. Almeida just north of the Passenger Pier. Signed ‘J & M Lazarus. Lourenço Marques’.
204 x 155 mm. Showing the prison block situated at the junction of the Avenida Dom Carlos and the Avenida Castilho. The partially completed tramlines date the photograph to some time before Feb. 1904 when the tramway system was opened. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo’.
205 x 130 mm. View looking over a garden towards a bungalow with a corrugated iron roof and carved wooden verandahs on which stand two European men and a woman. The mount bears the legend ‘Wishing you a happy New Year’ and is also stamped ‘C. Manners’, presumably the photographer’s name, though he is not listed in the ‘Delagoa Directory’ between 1899 and 1926.
204 x 155 mm. View looking along the tree-lined road which runs out of the town to the residential quarter of Reuben Point. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo’.
206 x 153 mm. View looking along the tree-lined street with a verandahed house in the left foreground. The exact location is unknown but it may be part of the avenue which ran north from the Delagoa Bay Iron Works. Signed ‘J.Lazarus Photo’.
194 x 140 mm. Showing the fine residential houses with beautiful gardens set among grassland on the hillside to the north-east of the town. Signed ‘J.E.M. Photo’.
194 x 140 mm. View similar to the preceding print but taken from a greater distance and with an expanse of sandy land in the foreground. Signed ‘J.E.M. Photo’.