Skip to main content

The Museum, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/23

Scope and Contents

203x163mm. View from Chowringhee Road showing the W. frontage of the Museum and the northern facade running along Sudder Street. The Indian Museum, designed by the Government Architect Walter B. Granville and opened to the public in 1875, stands at the corner of these two streets on the other of Sudder Street to the 'Haunted House'. The building is of two storeys plus an attic storey with pavilions with Corinthian columns on the upper floor projecting out into Chowinghee Road. Banded rustication runs round the lower storey. The foundations of the building can be seen in Y3022BB/10. The Museum stands on the site of the former High School which was removed to Darjeeling in 1863, (Massey p.80).


  • Creation: 1918


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Date information

DateText: The date is approximate..

Finding aid date

2011-03-04 09:16:39+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom