Semi-official letters from Hong Kong to London, 1945-1975
Scope and Contents
Semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with enclosed letters and papers. The correspondents are A.D. Angus, I.F. Aucott, H.D.M. Barton, D.I. Bosanquet, J.J.G. Brown, I.D. Bruce, W.J. Downey, D.C. le F. Edwards, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, M.A.R. Herries, H.Y. Hsu, E.J.V. Hutt, H.N.L. Keswick, J.H. Keswick, S.L. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, R.C. Kwok, D.F. Landale, D.W.N. Landale, H.H. Lennox, D.D.B. McLeod, G.L. Marshall, R.E. Moore, D.K. Newbigging, J.J. Paterson, G.M.R. Pearson, M.H. Pickup, F.A. Pollock, R. Shoppee, H. Sidbury and E.F. Watts.
Most of the letters until 1964 are originals, although there are also some copies. From 1965 the letters are copies, with the originals having been transferred to Matheson & Co. Ltd's subject files. Some of these letters include manuscript headings to indicate the name of the file or files in which the original or copies can be found. There are also other annotations made by the recipients in London.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
46 file(s) (46 ring-binders)
7 folder(s) (7 folders)
3 envelope(s) (3 envelopes)
2 bundle(s) (2 bundles)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
J1/121 contains the copies of the letters belonging to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and includes some letters missing from this series.
- Angus, Andrew Drummond, 1921-2013 (businessman)
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Brown, Jeremy John Galbraith, 1933-2022 (businessman)
- Bruce, Ian Denholm, 1912-1966 (businessman)
- Downey, William James, 1934-2013
- Edwards, David Corbett le Fowne, b 1939 (businessman)
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Herries, Michael Alexander Robert Young-, 1923-1995 (Knight, businessman)
- Hsu, Hou Yu, b 1900 (businessman)
- Hutt, Eric John Villette, b 1915 (businessman)
- Keswick, Simon Lindley, b 1942 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir Henry Neville Lindley, b 1938 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Kwok, Robert Chin-kung, b 1938 (businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Landale, Sir David William Neil, 1934-2016 (Knight, businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Marshall, George Lawrence, 1911-1965 (accountant)
- McLeod, David Dunlop Bentley, b 1932 (businessman)
- Moore, Raymond Edward, b 1928 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Kennedy, b 1934
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pearson, George Matthew Raymond, b 1917 (businessman)
- Pickup, Milton H, b 1914 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Shoppee, Reginald, b 1913 (businessman)
- Sidbury, Henry, d 1906 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)