Semi-official correspondence between Hong Kong and Amoy, Canton, Foochow, Swatow and Taipei, 1918-1939
Scope and Contents
Semi-official and some property correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and Jardine Matheson, Amoy, Canton, Foochow, Swatow and Taipei, with enclosed letters and papers. The contents of the volumes change over the course of the series: there are original letters from Amoy (1918), Canton (1918-1939), Foochow (1918-1933), Swatow (1918-1933) and Taipei (1918-1927) to Hong Kong, and copies of letters from Hong Kong to Canton (1930-1939), Foochow (1930-1933) and Swatow (1930-1933).
The correspondents are C.E. Anton, R.M. Austin, Charles Barraclough, B.D.F. Beith, John Bell-Irving, D.G.M. Bernard, G.H. Bowker, E.B. Clarke, R.E. Coxon, A.K. Craddock, P.O. da Roza, J.P.B. Eastwood, J.F. Feely, J.M. Forbes, L.G. Frost, William Galloway, Attilie Gandossi, J.C. Guterres, James Helbling, Christopher Hodgson, H.E. Hollands, John Johnstone, E.P.B. Kidby, W.J. Keswick, W.H.T. King, H. Lachlan, David Landale, D.F. Landale, V.H. Lanning, L.N. Leefe, K. de C. Longmire, V.A. Maunder, D.L. Newbigging, J.J. Paterson, E.U. Reid, N.L.H. Railton, A.E. Reynell, A.M. Scott-Morris, A.E. Smith, A.B. Stewart, C.T. Tod and C. Wedemeyer.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
22 volume(s) (22 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J17
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Barraclough, Charles, d 1938
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Bowker, George Henry, b 1887 (businessman)
- Clarke, Ernest Blears, b 1887 (businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Craddock, A K, d 1933
- Eastwood, John Patrick Basil, b 1889 (businessman)
- Feely, Joseph Francis, 1893-1952 (businessman)
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Galloway, William, b 1887 (businessman)
- Gandossi, Attilie, b c 1890
- Helbling, James, 1872-1948 (businessman)
- Hodgson, Christopher, b 1892
- Hollands, Henry Ethelbert, b c 1891
- Irving, John Bell-, 1846-1925 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- King, Wilfred Henry Tindal, 1885-1965 (businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Leefe, Lawrence Noel, 1872-1951 (businessman)
- Longmire, Kendall de Crez, 1889-1954 (businessman)
- Morris, Archibald Mortimer Scott-, 1896-1939 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Locke, 1896-1948 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Railton, Norman Leslie Howard, 1894-1947 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)
- Tod, Christopher Thompson, 1893-1950