Colombo (inhabited place)
Found in 174 Collections and/or Records:
This is a copy of the original document in which Bagnall describes his final days in Singapore, his evacuation by ship, its sinking by bombs the following day, and how he eventually reached safety in Colombo on 14 March (11 sheets).
Panorama extending over four joined pages.
A copy of Nias's account of his wartime service in Malaya. He was involved in demolition work during the retreat to Singapore. After its fall he and a number of comrades escaped in a dinghy and an old yacht, reaching Sumatra, from whence he was evacuated to Sri Lanka and the United Kingdom (6 sheets). Nias’s diary was published in ‘British Malaya’, June 1942, 16-17. The collection is accompanied by a letter from Professor A. L. McLeod to Hugh Bryson.
The caption printed on the reverse reads: 'Tea being taken for shipment in one of the Colombo Canals'.
209 x 151 mm. View, probably taken from the Military Hospital, looking south along the Galle Face, towards the Colombo Club. Formerly the Assembly Rooms, a ‘popular public and Society rendezvous in Colombo’ (Wright, op. cit, p 419), the Colombo Club used its premises from its foundation in 1871. It was also used as a grand stand during the racing season, the track running along the Galle Face north to south between the Club house and the sea.
208 x 153 mm. View looking north from the Galle Face, across a small portion of the lake, towards the four two-storied barracks buildings, built in echelon in order not to impede sea breezes. A fifth building is out of the picture to the right. The barracks are built on the foundation of the wall of the old Dutch Fort. The rooftops of the Fort area can be seen beyond the barracks, with the Clock Tower rising above the other buildings. Photographer unknown.
271x211mm. Showing surf breaking over the breakwater, with shipping at anchor in the protected harbour beyond.
278 x 217 mm. (mounted on card). Carbon print shows a similar view to the Y303G/1.
258 x 209 mm. View from the root of the breakwater showing waves breaking over the constructed part, with calm sea inside the harbour.
259 x 209 mm. View from the lighthouse tower south onto and along the completed breakwater.
258 x 208 mm. General view looking along the completed breakwater, with shipping at anchor in the harbour to the right.
255 x 208 mm. General view of the breakwater, similar to Y303C/15, but showing the depot works in the foreground. The ‘Titan’ crane can be seen at the root of the breakwater. A similar viewpoint to Y303C/1.
258 x 209 mm. View looking north along the completed breakwater towards the lighthouse and landing pier at the far end, with shipping anchored in the harbour at the right.
258 x 209 mm. View from the landing pier looking back towards the head of the breakwater, with open sea beyond. Men and machinery are gathered around the pierhead. A large block-and-tackle crane stands in the circular recess beneath which the caisson rests and on top of which the lighthouse will be erected.
210 x 258 mm. View, probably from the top of one of the ‘Titan’ cranes, looking down onto and along the breakwater towards the land around the Customs House area and the landing place. In the foreground the basic structure of slabs from which the breakwater is constructed can be seen.
The printed caption on the reverse reads: 'M.B. Uduman's Copyright No. 29. Printed in Saxony. Published by 'The Travellers Mart', 14 York and Ballie Street, Colombo'.
258 x 208 mm. Showing the caisson, a watertight chest not unlike a huge cast-iron boiler, in position on the breakwater head. The caisson was lowered into position in December 1883 and by January 1884 it had been filled with concrete.
78 x 52 mm.
79 x 56 mm.
143 x 96 mm. Showing an outrigger fishing boat in which six figures are seated. Photographer unknown, probably Scowen & Co.
410 x 260 mm pencil drawing (with slide) by Sidney R. Fever depicting the British India Steam Navigation Company ship which carried Weatherstone to Ceylon during 1950-51.
277 x 212 mm. General view of the cathedral from the road, a stone building with a square tower and aisles, opened in 1851 and little larger than an English parish church. Photographer unknown.
198 x 153 mm. View looking towards the clock tower and light house which stands at the cross roads formed by Queen Street and Chatham Street. The tower was erected in 1857 during the governorship of Sir Henry Ward. Photographer unknown.