Skip to main content

George Town (inhabited place)

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 47 Collections and/or Records:

  • 1
  • 2
 File

Aden [i.e. Adan], Malaya [i.e. Malay Peninsula], and Hong Kong, circa 1909, 1909

 File
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3011B(LS)/134-182
Scope and Contents

Also described as: 'Aden, Hong Kong, ?1909'.

Dates: 1909
 Item

Chinese Graves [? Penang], 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/44
Scope and Contents

280 x 208 mm. Showing a Chinese cemetery, presumably in Penang, with an ornamental lake in the left foreground, graves to the right and an open-walled pavilion beyond.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

Court House, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/47
Scope and Contents

280 x 208 mm. Showing western façade of the Court House, a two storey building with a prominent portico containing an entrance stairway. A group of mixed races stands at the base of the Tuscan orders at the front of the building. The court buildings were situated in an area of land bounded by Light Street, Farquhar Street and Pitt Street.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

English Church, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/52
Scope and Contents 271 x 208 mm. A view of St Georges Church from the junction of Farquhar and Pitt Streets. Built by convict labour in 1817. , it is the oldest Church of England church in Malaya. Reminiscent in general style to St Martin in the Fields, the façade is fronted by four pairs of Tuscan orders which are echoed by similar groupings of pilasters inside the portico and along the side of the building. The tower is surmounted by a small octagonal spire. The inscription (not visible in this print)...
Dates: 1880 - 1889
 File

Eyewitness account of the destruction of the Russian cruiser Zemshug, 1961-09-12

 File
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/RCMS 103/11/1
Scope and Contents

An account of the attack of the German cruiser Emden upon Penang on 28 Oct. 1914, in which it sank the Russian cruiser Zhemchug and the French destroyer Mousquet (2 sheets).

Dates: 1961-09-12
 Item

Farquhar Street, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/61
Scope and Contents

279 x 207 mm. A view looking west along Farquhar Street towards the entrance to the Hotel d'Europe, with the entrance to Clarendon Lodge at the left.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

F.M.S. [i.e. Malaysia] - Penang [i.e. George Town] Harbour Entrance, 1909

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3011B(LS)/159
Scope and Contents

A view from the sea looking towards the harbour channel. F.M.S. is an abbreviation for Federated Malay States.

Dates: 1909
 Item

Gottliebs tree, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/49
Scope and Contents 275 x 208 mm. A view looking along a roadway towards a large spreading tree beneath which a group of men is standing. Beside the roadway in the left foreground is a spirit and opium shop. Exact location unidentified, although Purcell (1928, p. 81) states that the Pine Apple Lane referred to [in a 1807-1808 map of George Town] is now Gottlieb Road. Whether this picture shows a portion of Gottlieb Road, which ran along the southern edge of Mount Erskine Cemetery, has not been determined. ...
Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

Government Bungalow at the Cragh, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 17/45
Scope and Contents

137 x 83 mm. View looking across thick forest on Penang Hill towards the bungalow.

Dates: 1907
 Item

Government Bungalow, Penang Hill, 1884

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 2/17
Scope and Contents

205 x 154 mm. A view looking across the wooded gardens towad the Government Bungalow (partially obscured by trees).

Dates: 1884
 Item

Harbour, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 17/36
 Item

Hotel d'Europe, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/55
Scope and Contents 277 x 195 mm. A view from the junction of Farquhar Street and Penang Road showing the wall surrounding the hotel but very little of the buildings themselves. A sign in the right foreground indicates the hotel entrance. The Hotel d'Europe was situated just off Farquhar Street on the northern waterfront. The history of the hotel has not been traced but this appears to be the establishment taken over by the Sarkies Brothers (founders of Raffles Hotel, Singapore) and later named the Eastern...
Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

King Street, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/42
Scope and Contents

281 x 208 mm. A view looking along King Street which runs north-east from Chulia Street to the corner of the Padang at Light Street. This view shows the north-east section with the Padang and the sea just visible in the background.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

Light Street, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/50
Scope and Contents

276 x 208 mm. A view looking along Light Street which runs west from Fort Cornwallis and along the Esplanade. The precise section of the street here shown has not been located.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

Lomond Bungalow, Penang Hill, 1884

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 2/16
Scope and Contents

208 x 155 mm. A view looking along the unkempt garden towards the thatched and verandahed bungalow. Posed in front of the building are a European family (unidentified) and Indian servants. Lomond Bungalow was situated on the northern end of Penang (or Government) Hill.

Dates: 1884
 Item

Memorial to Captain Light, Penang, 1930 - 1939

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 2/53
Scope and Contents 62 x 88 mm. Showing the statue of Captain Francis Light (1740-1794), founder of Prince of Wales Island (Penang) in 1786. Light died of malaria on the island and was buried in the old Protestant Cemetery in Northam Road, George Town. The bronze statue designed by Frederick J. Wilcoxson, was originally sited in Fort Cornwallis and was unveiled in 1939. It was removed during the Japanese occupation and re-erected in 1946 in front of the High Court in Light Street. The only known...
Dates: 1930 - 1939
 Item

Municipality, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 17/38
Scope and Contents

284 x 185 mm. View looking along the Esplanade at Penang from Court Cornwallis with the Municipal Buildings on the far side of the cricket ground, and the Town Hall (partially obscured by trees) to the left.

Dates: 1907
 Item

Northern Road, Penang, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/59
Scope and Contents

274 x 208 mm. A view looking westwards and along Northern Road with the Lartut Road junction in the left middleground. The road leading off to the right probably goes to the Telegraph Office and the Penang Club.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

Penang : Beach Street, 1890 - 1899

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 2/39
Scope and Contents

272 x 206 mm. A view looking along Beach Street which runs NE-SW parallel to the waterfront and behind Victoria Street and Weld Quay. In the right foreground a three storey building houses G. Izolphe's hairdressing saloon, the Grand Hotel, the Pilots Club and Abdoul Sanat, watch-makers; these premises were later taken over by Kennedy and Co. Further down the street are the offices of the Pinang Gazette press, which in the left foreground are the Criterion Tiffin and Billiard Rooms.

Dates: 1890 - 1899
 Item

Penang Club, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/57
Scope and Contents 271 x 209 mm. A view of the Club premises, a low square stone building with a tiled roof and a verandah running the length of one façade (? the northern). The Club, founded in 1868, was situated in the north-west part of George Town, near the Telegraph Office and off Northern Road. Cartwright ((ed), 1908, p. 744) gives this description: The Club premises...are pleasantly situated on the sea-front ... Passing through the spacious entrance-hall, with the committee and secretary's rooms on...
Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

Penang Fort, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/45
Scope and Contents

276 x 208 mm. A view looking along an outer wall towards a bastion, with a wooden bridge crossing the moat (drained in 1922) to a gateway into the fort. Fort Cornwallis replaced the stockade erected by Captain Light for the defence of the settlement, but by the later years of the century its defensive importance had waned and its main use was as a signal station.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
 Item

Penang from Mount Erskine [1821], 1930

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 2/51
Scope and Contents

133 x 79 mm. A photographic copy of William Daniell's aquatint from Captain Robert Smith's painting. The view looks across Pulau Tikus Bay and George Town towards Kedah on the mainland.

Dates: 1930
 Item

Penang Hill, 1880 - 1889

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/58
Scope and Contents

270 x 209 mm. A view looking along an almost dry stream bed towards the small bridge and wooded hillside. Photograph possibly taken at the same location as BAM 10/51.

Dates: 1880 - 1889
  • 1
  • 2