English Church, Penang, 1880 - 1889
Scope and Contents
271 x 208 mm. A view of St Georges Church from the junction of Farquhar and Pitt Streets. Built by convict labour in 1817. , it is the oldest Church of England church in Malaya. Reminiscent in general style to St Martin in the Fields, the façade is fronted by four pairs of Tuscan orders which are echoed by similar groupings of pilasters inside the portico and along the side of the building. The tower is surmounted by a small octagonal spire. The inscription (not visible in this print) over the entrance, reads: By the munificence of the English East India Company and under the auspices of their Governor, W.W. Phillips, Esq., the foundations of this Church were laid in the year of Our Lord 1817, and in the following year, under the administration of his successor, Colonel Alexander Bannerman, the erection was completed by Captain R. Smith, Engineer. In front of the church stands a circular temple erected to the memory of Francis Light, the founder of Penang. The church was largely destroyed during the Japanese invasion, but was rebuilt in its original style after the war and re-opened in 1948.
- 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Good condition, apart from slight fading at edges.
Existence and Location of Copies
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date