Skip to main content

Penang Fort, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 10/45

Scope and Contents

276 x 208 mm. A view looking along an outer wall towards a bastion, with a wooden bridge crossing the moat (drained in 1922) to a gateway into the fort. Fort Cornwallis replaced the stockade erected by Captain Light for the defence of the settlement, but by the later years of the century its defensive importance had waned and its main use was as a signal station.


  • Creation: 1880 - 1889


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Good condition, apart from slight fading at edges.



Date information

DateText: The date is approximate..

Finding aid date

2002-06-06 09:34:08+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom