Memorial to Captain Light, Penang, 1930 - 1939
Scope and Contents
62 x 88 mm. Showing the statue of Captain Francis Light (1740-1794), founder of Prince of Wales Island (Penang) in 1786. Light died of malaria on the island and was buried in the old Protestant Cemetery in Northam Road, George Town. The bronze statue designed by Frederick J. Wilcoxson, was originally sited in Fort Cornwallis and was unveiled in 1939. It was removed during the Japanese occupation and re-erected in 1946 in front of the High Court in Light Street. The only known contemporary representation of Light is Thomas Medlands engraving of Elisha Trapaud's drawing of the founding ceremony.
- 1930 - 1939
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
Language of Materials
DateText: 1930s ?.
Finding aid date
- From the Fonds: British, Association of Malaysia and Singapore (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com