Skip to main content

Sri Lanka (nation)

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 1243 Collections and/or Records:

 Item

An estate bungalow, 1870 - 1879

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022G/27
Scope and Contents

279 x 210 mm. View looking across the garden to a typical estate bungalow set among thick jungle. The single storey building has a hipped roof with a covering of flat tiles and a verandah enclosed behind wooden trellis work. Photograph by Scowen & Co.

Dates: 1870 - 1879
 Item

Ancient Audience Hall of the Kandyan Kings, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/106
Scope and Contents

Half-plate. Now used as district court and supreme court

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1870 - 1900

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y302A/29
Scope and Contents 276 x 216 mm. View of the sacred bo-tree standing amidst the ruins of the courts and terraces which once surrounded it. The caption printed on the plate reads: 'Ficus religiosa. The sacred bo tree at Anaradhapura. This ancient tree is an object of veneration to the Buddhist; its parent in India being the identical tree under which the Gautama is said to have achieved the Buddhaship. The original branch was planted by King Dewanpiya Tissa, BC. 288'. For a more detailed account of the myths...
Dates: 1870 - 1900
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/64
Scope and Contents

Quarter-plate. The Jetawanarama Dagoba or Abhayagiri Dagoba. Both names used. (Fisher).

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/65
Scope and Contents

Quarter-plate. The Thuparama Dagoba from the east side.

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/66
Scope and Contents

Quarter-plate. The Ruanwali Dagoba.

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/67
Scope and Contents

Quarter-plate. Inside the outer gateway. Devotees taking gifts to the sacred bo-tree.

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/68
Scope and Contents

Half-plate. The King's bathing place.

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/69
Scope and Contents

Half-plate (landscape format). The Ruanwili Dagoba. Statues of Buddhas and of a King. Full moon day - notice vast mass of the brickwork. (Fisher). [With suppliants kneeling at prayer in foregound]

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/71
Scope and Contents

Quarter-plate. Front of outer entrance to sacred Bo-tree. Children - Stalls of lotus sellers.

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/72
Scope and Contents

Half-plate. One of the altars round the terrace immediately below the Sacred Bo-tree. [With Singhalese at prayer in foreground]

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, Ceylon, 1870 - 1900

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y302A/28
Scope and Contents 274 x 216 mm. View from the north east of the Kuwanweli Dagota, a solid, bell shaped mound 250 feet in diameter and 180 feet high to the tip of the copper finial. This, the most important of the surviving buildings of the old capital of Anyradhapura, was begun by King Duttugaimunu and completed after his death in 137 BC by his brother the successor King Saidaitissa. For a more detailed account, see James G. Smither, 'Architectural remains: Anuradhapura, Ceylon' (London, ?1894) pp 23-44. This...
Dates: 1870 - 1900
 Item

Anuradhapura. Isurumum Rock Temple, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/62A
Scope and Contents

Quarter- plate. Dagoba (Bell) light kept on top here all night; Temple Room (Vihara image room). Priest holding key of temple; Elephant heads cut in the face of rock, very low relief. (Fisher)

Dates: 1907
 Item

Anuradhapura, Ruanwili Dajoba, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/70
Scope and Contents

Half-plate (landscape format). One of the side gates. To left side of picture, in shadow above the line of elephants heads are the remains of the ancient painting of the stone work - a red, yellow and green. Colour of brick work at back is a dirty red - stonework is now for the most part a dull gray, i.e. paint has worn off. (Fisher).

Dates: 1907
 Item

[Architectural remains, Sigiriya], 1870 - 1871

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y303B/22
Scope and Contents

283 x 214 mm. Showing the entrance to what appears to be a rock temple, with cliffs rising above. Location unidentified, but possibly at Sigiriya, the 5th century rock fortress in the central province. Photograph probably by Joseph Lawton.

Dates: 1870 - 1871
 Sub-Series
 Item

[Areca Catechu (betel nut)], 1880 - 1920

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y303E/62
Scope and Contents

167 x 211 mm. Showing a cluster of tall, slender betel nut palms growing on the banks of a river (possibly the Mahalia Ganga at Peradeniya Botanical Gardens).

Dates: 1880 - 1920
 Item

[Areca catechu (Betel nut palm)], 1880 - 1920

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y303E/67
Scope and Contents

210 x 278 mm. Showing betel nut palms growing among thick woodland vegetation on the bank of a river.

Dates: 1880 - 1920
 Item

Areca catechu [betel nut palm], 1880 - 1920

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y303E/81
Scope and Contents

112 x 211 mm. Showing a betel nut palm growing on the bank of a river, probably the Mahaweli Ganga at Peradeniya.

Dates: 1880 - 1920
 Item
 Fonds

Arrival of Sir Edward Stubbs in Ceylon [i.e. Sri Lanka], December 1933

 Fonds
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y303H
Dates: 1933-12
 Fonds

Articles from 'The Field'

 Fonds
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/RCMS 322
Dates: 1888 - 1921
 Item

Assam India rubber tree, Peradeniya, 1907

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 1/90
 Item

Assembly Rooms (Club), Galle Face, Colombo, 1875

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y303B/34
Scope and Contents

209 x 151 mm. View, probably taken from the Military Hospital, looking south along the Galle Face, towards the Colombo Club. Formerly the Assembly Rooms, a ‘popular public and Society rendezvous in Colombo’ (Wright, op. cit, p 419), the Colombo Club used its premises from its foundation in 1871. It was also used as a grand stand during the racing season, the track running along the Galle Face north to south between the Club house and the sea.

Dates: 1875