Anuradhapura, Ceylon, 1870 - 1900
Scope and Contents
274 x 216 mm. View from the north east of the Kuwanweli Dagota, a solid, bell shaped mound 250 feet in diameter and 180 feet high to the tip of the copper finial. This, the most important of the surviving buildings of the old capital of Anyradhapura, was begun by King Duttugaimunu and completed after his death in 137 BC by his brother the successor King Saidaitissa. For a more detailed account, see James G. Smither, 'Architectural remains: Anuradhapura, Ceylon' (London, ?1894) pp 23-44. This photograph is reduced as plate 22 of that work.
- 1870 - 1900
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Scowen and Co
Finding aid date