Semi-official letters from London to Bombay and Calcutta, 11 Dec. 1941-4 Feb. 1946
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, to Jardine, Skinner & Co., Bombay and Calcutta, and Jardine, Matheson & Co. (India) Ltd, Bombay, with enclosed letters and papers.
1. Nos 1-27 from B.D.F. Beith to C.T. Tod, Jardine, Skinner & Co., Calcutta, 11 December 1941-10 April 1942.
2. Nos 28-67 from B.D.F. Beith to A.W. Robson and C.T. Tod, Jardine, Skinner & Co., Bombay, 10 April-31 December 1942. No. 28 is addressed to C.T. Tod, c/o the Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corporation, Bombay.
3. Nos 68-103 and 105-215 from B.D.F. Beith, W.J. Keswick and J.F. Owen to A.W. Robson and H.H. Tod, Jardine, Matheson & Co. (India) Ltd, Bombay, 5 January 1943-8 January 1946. There is also a no. 98A from B.D.F. Beith to H.R. Cleland, Bombay, 1 October 1943. A note attached to the inside cover reads 'No. 104 with E.F. Aucott'.
4. No. 216 from F.A. Pollock to H.H. Tod, c/o Jardine, Skinner & Co., Calcutta, 4 February 1946.
There is an index at the beginning of the ring-binder containing the following entries:
A: Accounts (Indo-China); Accounts.
B: Boustead & Co. Ltd; Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd; Bombay; Bararee Coke Co. Ltd; Bararee Coke Co. Ltd; B.D.F. Beith.
C: Calcutta Office (Bombay); China Navigation Co. Ltd; Chamber of Shipping; Chinese Crews (Indo-China); S.S. 'Changon'; Correspondence; Custodian of Enemy Property; Chungking; H.H. Cohen; H.R. Cleland; Coke; Canton Insurance Office; Calcutta; Calcutta/Straits/Japan Conference; China Records.
D: De Walt Products Corporation.
E: Ewo Cotton Mills; East Africa; S.S. 'Esang'; Ewo Cold Store.
F: Foochow; Finance; Far East; Far Eastern Shipping Agencies.
G: R. Gordon.
H: Hong Kong; Hongkong Fire Insurance Co.; A.H. Hutchison.
I: Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd; Imports; Indian Cotton; Insurance.
J: Jardine, Skinner & Co.; Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd; Jardine Engineering Corporation.
K: J.H. Keswick; W.J. Keswick.
L: J.W. Lindsay.
M: Mackinnon & Co.
P: Provident Fund; Produce; Gwendoline Priestwood; J.J. Paterson; F.A. Pollock; Piece Goods.
R: Requisition (Indo-China); Mrs Richardson.
S: Staff; Shanghai; Shanghai & Hongkew Wharf; Silk.
T: H.H. Tod; Taxation.
W: War Circular.
- 11 Dec. 1941-4 Feb. 1946
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012.
Existence and Location of Copies
J1/100 contains copies of letters nos 1-216 (inclusive), as well as telegrams exchanged between London and Bombay and Calcutta.
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Jardine, Matheson and Co (India) Ltd
- Jardine, Skinner and Co
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Robson, Arthur Walker, 1900-1956 (businessman)
- Tod, Christopher Thompson, 1893-1950
- Tod, Henry Hector, b 1907 (businessman)