Semi-official correspondence between Shanghai and China, Japan, London and New York, 1921-1927
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official and some property correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, and agents and offices of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd in Foochow, Kobe, New York, Newchwang, Peking, Swatow, Taipei, Tientsin, Tsingtao and Yokohama, as well as with Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with enclosed letters and papers, including telegrams, memoranda and reports. The correspondents are R.M. Austin, C. Barraclough, J.W. Bateman, B.D.F. Beith, R.G. Bell, G.H. Bowker, F.H. Bugbird, C. Chicken, J.P.B. Eastwood, W. Ford, James Helbling, John Johnstone, W.H.T. King, H. Lachlan, David Landale, H.H. Lennox, D.R. Mackenzie, J.J. Paterson, A. Reynell, A.R. Riddle, R.A. Russell, H.F. Scudamore, E.T. Seward, G.W. Sheppard, A. Brooke Smith, A.E. Smith, J.C. Taylor and W.H.L. Warrener.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
7 volume(s) (7 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former references: J36, J41
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Barraclough, Charles, d 1938
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bell, Robert Gowland, c 1887-1952 (businessman)
- Bowker, George Henry, b 1887 (businessman)
- Bugbird, Frederick Harry, 1862-1949 (businessman)
- Chicken, Charles, d 1923 (businessman)
- Eastwood, John Patrick Basil, b 1889 (businessman)
- Ford, William Richard Colin, 1868-1942 (businessman)
- Helbling, James, 1872-1948 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- King, Wilfred Henry Tindal, 1885-1965 (businessman)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Mackenzie, David Roderick, 1883-1957 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Russell, Richard Annand, b 1881
- Scudamore, Herbert Fawckner, d 1938 (businessman)
- Sheppard, George Walter, d 1943 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)
- Taylor, John Cameron, 1890-1950 (businessman)
- Warrener, William Henry Lievesley, b 1884