Semi-official letters from outports to Hong Kong, 3 Jan. 1940-31 Dec. 1940
Scope and Contents
Semi-official letters from offices and representatives of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, with enclosed letters and papers. There are also some letters to Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, and Jardine Matheson, Shanghai.
1. Original semi-official letters nos 793-822 from R.H. Malone, A.E. Smith and H.H. Tod. Jardine Matheson, Canton, to J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 9 January-31 December 1940, with enclosed monthly agency business reports. No. 811 encloses the report on the agency's annual accounts for the year ended 30 April 1940.
2. A copy of a letter from F.Y. Shu, Asiatic Petroleum Co. (N.C.) Ltd, acting for Jardine Matheson, Changsha, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, 3 December 1940.
3. Original semi-official letters from B.M. Barry, Barry & Dodwell Ltd, Chungking, to D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 30 January-3 September 1940.
4: Original semi-official letters nos 409-425 from N.G. Hammond and M.J. Henderson, Jardine Matheson, Foochow, to D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 3 January-23 December 1940.
5. Original semi-official letters nos 1-25 from J.F. Feely and A.E.B. Lamble, Jardine Matheson, Haiphong, to D.F. Landale and (mainly) J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 13 February-14 October 1940.
6. Original semi-official letters nos 1-9 from L.G. Frost, Jardine Matheson, Ichang, to D.F. Landale and (mainly) J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 4 January-27 April 1940. No. 6 encloses a report by Frost on the working of the agency for the period 1 January- 31 March 1940, dated 18 April 1940.
7. Original semi-official letters nos 179-193 from G.H. Gompertz and (mainly) A. McDonald, Jardine Matheson, Kobe, to D.F. Landale and (mainly) J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 15 January-14 December 1940. Most of the letters are covering letters to enclosed agency monthly business reports.
8. Original semi-official letters nos 42-65 from A. Urquhart, Jardine Matheson, Kunming, to D.F. Landale and (mainly) J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 29 January-25 December 1940. No. 51 is a copy, and includes a pencil note recording that the original letter was never received.
9. A copy of an unsigned semi-official letter from Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd, New York, to Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 10 April 1940 (sent to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong).
10. Copies of two unnumbered semi-official letters from A. Davidson, Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd, New York, to W.J. Keswick, Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, 21 October-2 November 1940.
11. Original semi-official letters from J.F. Feely, Jardine Matheson, Rangoon, to Hong Kong: an unnumbered letter to D.F. Landale, 29 March 1940, and nos 2-4 to J.J. Paterson, 14 April 1940, 26 April 1940 and 3 May 1940. There are also two copies of a 'Report on Trip from Kunming to Lashio by Road. 10th to 17th March, 1940' by J. Feely, dated Mandalay, 20 March 1940.
12. Original semi-official letters nos 408-433 from E.L. McDougall and H.H. Tod, Jardine Matheson, Swatow, to D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 3 January-18 December 1940, with enclosed monthly statements of the Compradore's securities and liabilities. No. 422 reports on the annual accounts for the year ended 30 April 1940, and encloses a comparative statement of the profit and loss account and a balance sheet.
13. Original semi-official letters nos 15-30 from B.E. Bolton, C. Griffin and A.B. Stafford, Jardine Matheson, Taipei, to D.F. Landale and (mainly) J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 16 March-28 December 1940. Nos 15-20 are addressed from Taihoku. There are also three letters from Clarence Griffin to J.J. Paterson numbered 1-G, 2-G and 3-G, 7 September 1940, 17 September 1940 and 3 October 1940.
There is no index, but the correspondence includes the following subjects (among others):
1. Canton: annual accounts; Blunt-Okazaki Agreement; Chinese Seamen's Union; coaster to Canton; Ewo Beer; Ewo Mills goods; imports; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd; Kowloon-Canton Railway; Patons & Baldwins wools; Pearl River; Shameen; staff; W.H. Ting.
2. Changsha: correspondence with Jardine Matheson, Changsha, c/o Asiatic Petroleum Co. (N.C.) Ltd.
3. Chungking: blankets; grey sheetings; the war.
4. Foochow: annual accounts; Compradore; H.B.M. Consul; launch crew - 'Haitung'; political situation; A.M. Scott-Morris, decd (staff); staff; the war.
5. Haiphong: Chun Ho; German goods; political situation; tank trunks for the Chinese Post Office; the war.
6. Ichang: funds; S.W. Moon (staff).
7. Kobe: Canadian Pacific Railway; staff.
8. Kunming: barter - salt/China produce; D. Bern & Co.; Burma Road; Central Agency Ltd; China Syndicate; Chun Ho; communications; evacuation; Ewo Mills; exports; Haiphong; imports; Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd; minerals; parachute fabric; political situation; Rangoon; shipping; Steel Brothers & Co.; transportation; Z.Z. Tsang & Co.; the war; wood oil.
9. New York: Hongkong & Kowloon Wharf & Godown Co. Ltd - structural steel for transit shed.
10. New York: finance; Japanese importers.
11. Rangoon: Bhamo; Chun Ho; J.F. Feely (staff); Steel Brothers & Co.; trial shipment of 10 bales yarn; visit of D.F. Landale.
12. Swatow: annual accounts; E.L. McDougall (staff); Patons & Baldwins - woollen yarn; political situation; quarantine; rice; sabotage; staff; Chinese staff; godown staff; typhoon damage.
13. Taipei: Anglo-American Direct Trading Co.; sale of Back Bund Lot; property; staff.
- 3 Jan. 1940-31 Dec. 1940
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Fair condition, but some pages are partly or wholly detached.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J35
- Balfour, Guthrie and Co Ltd
- Bolton, Bernard Ernest, b 1909 (businessman)
- Feely, Joseph Francis, 1893-1952 (businessman)
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Gompertz, Geoffrey Haviland, b 1901
- Griffin, Clarence, 1874-1951 (businessman)
- Hammond, Noel Gardner, b 1916
- Henderson, Maurice James, b 1900 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lamble, Arnold Edwin Blythe, 1890-1964 (Captain)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- McDonald, Alistair, b 1897 (businessman)
- McDougall, Edward Lionel, b 1905 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Stafford, Alfred Ben, 1908-1941 (businessman)
- Tod, Henry Hector, b 1907 (businessman)
- Urquhart, Alexander, b 1900 (businessman)