Semi-official letters from Hong Kong to New York and outports, 2 Jan. 1940-31 Dec. 1940
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to agencies and representatives of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd, with enclosed letters and papers. There is also a set of copies of letters from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai to Jardine Matheson, New York.
1. Nos 564-586 and 589-595 from D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to R.H. Malone and A.E. Smith, Jardine Matheson, Canton, 3 January-23 December 1940. A note records that nos 587 and 588 were not used in error.
2. Nos 1-3 from D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to G.S. Pontius, Yee Tsoong Tobacco Co., Changsha, 6 March-25 September 1940.
3. Nos 30-44 from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to B.M. Barry, Barry & Dodwell Ltd, Chungking, 18 January-16 November 1940.
4. East Africa letters: no. 1 from J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to E.W. Bovill, Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 15 May 1940, and no. 2 from J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to D. Kemp, Jardine, Matheson & Co. (East Africa) Ltd, Nairobi, 27 August 1940.
5. Nos 329-346 from D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to M.J. Henderson and N.G. Hammond, Jardine Matheson, Foochow, 3 January-16 December 1940.
6. Nos 1-25 from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to J.F. Feely and A.E. Lamble, Jardine Matheson, Haiphong, 7 February-17 September 1940. No. 2 is addressed to A.E. Lamble c/o Rizeries Indochinoises, Haiphong; no. 3 is addressed to Lamble at La Société Commerciale Française de L'Indo Chine.
7. Nos 14-21 from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to L.G. Frost, Jardine Matheson, Ichang, 2 January-8 May 1940.
8. Letters nos 128-133 from J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to A. McDonald, Jardine Matheson, Kobe, 9 March-23 December 1940.
9. Nos 49-56 and 58-96 from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to A. Urquhart, Jardine Matheson, Kunming, 18 January-30 December 1940. No. 57 was cancelled.
10. Nos 1-23 from D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong to A.L. Davidson, Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd, New York, 16 January-23 December 1940.
11. Nos 107-147 from W.J. Keswick and F.A. Pollock, Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to A.L. Davidson, Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd, New York, 8 January-31 December 1940.
12. Nos 1-4 from J.J. Paterson and D.L. Newbigging, Hong Kong, to J.F. Feely, Rangoon, 9 April-10 May 1940. Some letters are addressed to Feely c/o Steel Brothers Ltd.
13. Nos 359-384 from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to E.L. McDougall and H.H. Tod, Jardine Matheson, Swatow, 3 January-17 December 1940.
14. Nos 32-46 from D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to B.E. Bolton, C. Griffin and A.B. Stafford, Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Taiwan) Ltd, Taipei, 13 January-24 December 1940.
There is no index, but the correspondence includes the following subjects (among others):
1. Canton: annual accounts; C.S.U.; grey sheetings; passages - staff rates; Patons & Baldwins wools; Pearl River; staff.
2. Changsha: antimony of National Resources Commission in firm's godown; Tu Lee Ming (staff).
3. Chungking: blankets; Ewo Mills; grey sheetings; visit of D.F. Landale; General Wang.
4. East Africa: Antamok; sisal; tea.
5. Foochow: annual accounts; F.A. Gomes (staff); launch crew - 'Haitung'; Patons & Baldwins; A.M. Scott-Morris, decd (staff); staff.
6. Haiphong: T.H. Chen (staff); Kunming transit cargo; political situation; A. Urquhart (staff); wood oil in bulk.
7. Ichang: funds; S.W. Moon (staff); wireless parts.
8. Kobe: Kobe Agency.
9. Kunming: annual accounts; communications; D. Bern & Co.; Burma Road; Central Agency; China Syndicate; Chun Ho; Dunlop; exports; mills business; Ewo Mills; parachute fabric; politics; Rangoon; silk; Steel Brothers & Co.; W.H. Ting; transportation; wood oil; wool.
10. New York: Anglo-American Direct Tea Trading Co.; G.D. McNair; tea.
11. New York: Brewmaster; bristles business - finance; Chestnutt, Cooper & Co.; finance; Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd; ocean shipping agencies; silk; tea; Waterman Steamship Corporation.
12. Rangoon: Barry & Dodwell; J.F. Feely (staff).
13. Swatow: annual accounts; Chinese staff; godown staff; B.L. McDougall (staff); Patons & Baldwins; political situation; the war; Yew Ah Kow (Compradore).
14. Taipei: Anglo-American Direct Tea Trading Co.; sale of Bank Bund Lot; property; staff; tea.
- 2 Jan. 1940-31 Dec. 1940
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J34
- Bolton, Bernard Ernest, b 1909 (businessman)
- Bovill, Edward William, 1892-1966 (historian)
- Feely, Joseph Francis, 1893-1952 (businessman)
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Griffin, Clarence, 1874-1951 (businessman)
- Hammond, Noel Gardner, b 1916
- Henderson, Maurice James, b 1900 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lamble, Arnold Edwin Blythe, 1890-1964 (Captain)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- McDonald, Alistair, b 1897 (businessman)
- McDougall, Edward Lionel, b 1905 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Locke, 1896-1948 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Stafford, Alfred Ben, 1908-1941 (businessman)
- Tod, Henry Hector, b 1907 (businessman)
- Urquhart, Alexander, b 1900 (businessman)