Browning, Oscar, 1837 - 1923 (historian and educational reformer)
Dates and places
1853-1913 KCC 1856
Legal status / Nationality
Sphere of activity
Historian, Educational Reformer
Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
3 ALS from Abraham to WCG.
An autograph manuscript account in the form of a draft letter to the 'Editor' to comment upon Browning's 'Memories of Later Years'. Contains a note in John Saltmarsh's hand, 'Wedd on O.B. (Not part of the Memoirs). JS'.
13 autograph letters, signed, 1 typed letter, signed, and 1 autograph postcard, signed to J.M. Keynes. 1910-20.
1 carbon typed letter, signed, from J.M. Keynes. 16 Dec. 1920.
This file also contains: printed verses celebrating Oscar Browning's 70th birthday, by 'A.C.B.', 1907, and his 80th, by Claude Greening, 1917; and a typescript copy of a letter from Walter Durnford to Oscar Browning, 10 June 1920.
The file comprises photocopies of typescript extracts from letters.
This series comprises diary entries by Charles Ashbee and his wife Janet, letters to both, photographs, picture postcards, cartoons, poems, newspaper cuttings and other printed ephemera.
1 typed letter signed, resigning as treasurer of the club. The file also contains a letter relating to the donation of the letter.
1 autograph letter signed, concerning books by MRJ, Browning's world history and life in Rome; with a long postscript on the Cambridge Reform Committee, education and literature.
1 autograph letter signed and 1 autograph postcard signed.
2 typed letters to E.M. Forster.
To request these documents, please use the following call mark: vol. 8/24
Four autograph letters signed.
4 autograph letters signed, with 1 autograph letter signed from H. Sidgwick to Oscar Browning, , enclosed.
8 autograph letters signed and 3 typed letters signed. The file also contains a menu card for a dinner given at King's College to celebrate Browning's 70th birthday, 19 Jan. 1907, and a typescript Latin verse 'Ara' by Browning, 1916.
25 autograph letters, signed, and 1 typed letter.
- C.S. Bennett on Oscar Browning
- C.S. Bennett on gossip
- A. Caiger-Smith on patronage of fine arts
- M. Shuttleworth on the ethos of King's College in 1951
- Jasper Rose on Thackeray
- Jasper Rose on the senses
- Simon Raven on Pygmalion
- Francis Haskell on the impact of certain books on a young man
- Francis Haskell on tolerance and hypocrisy.
The file comprises:-
- 4 autograph letters signed from Augustus Austen Leigh to JEN, 4 Dec. 1877 (some letters are undated), and a draft incomplete letter from JEN to Austen-Leigh, undated;
- 1 autograph letter signed from Oscar Browning to JEN, 3 Dec. 1877;
- 1 incomplete letter from JEN to [H.] Sidgwick, undated;
- 1 autograph letter signed from A. W. Verrall to JEN, 29 Nov. 1877;
- 3 formal statements/clarifications of position by JEN, Dec. 1877.