Swettenham, Frank Athelstane, Sir, 1850-1946 (Knight, colonial administrator)
- Existence: 1850 - 1946
Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:
154 x 110 mm.
163 x 118 mm. (mounted on board). Showing the two bulls with horns locked. The two keepers stand behind the animals, with spectators grouped in front of the building in the background. Probably taken on the same occasion, and from the same location as BAM 6/8 and 6/10.
258 x 177 mm. Watercolour sketch of a female with a small lake in the foreground. Captioned on the reverse in Swettenham's hand and possibly painted by him.
1. Correspondence between Sir George Maxwell, Sir Richard Winstedt, Sir Frank Swettenham, Sir Cecil Clementi, G.H. Hall, Secretary of State for the Colonies, and others regarding the Malayan Union of 1946 (circa 25 sheets).
2. Preparations for and reports of a meeting held at the Colonial Office on 26 Feb. 1946 to discuss the Malayan Union proposal. The file includes notes of the meeting taken by Maxwell and Clementi (circa 25 sheets).
221 x 172 mm. (mounted on board). Showing a large group of spectators gathered round a bull and its keepers.
151 x 198 mm. Carbon print. A half length studio portrait of Sir Frank Athelstane Swettenham (1850-1946); cadet, Straits Settlements Civil Service 1870; British Resident, Selangor 1882-1889; British Resident, Perak1889-1895; Resident General, F.M.S. 1896-1901; Governor, Straits Settlements 1901-1904; author British Malaya (1907); Footprints in Malaya (1942); etc.
170 x 245 mm. A seated three quarter length portrait of Sir Frank Swettenham.
Journal and memorandum
248 x 195 mm. Group photograph taken during the reception given for Sir Alaidin SULAIMAN ibni Al-Marham Raja MUDA MUSA (1865-1938), Sultan of Selangor 1896-1938, after his investiture of the K.C.V.O. (Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order). At the left is his eldest son Tuanku Musa EDDIN, and at the right Sir Frank SWETTENHAM (1850-1946). Other figures unidentified.
156 x 294 mm. Showing Sultan Muhammad IV (d 1920), ruler of Kelantan 1902-1920, seated in front of a carved wooden doorway, probably outside the palace at Kota Bahru [i.e. Baharu]. On one side of the Sultan stands a servant with an umbrella, on the other an unidentified figure, possibly a son. Photograph possibly by Sir Frank Swettenham.
Four pages extracted from the Tatler October 11, 1911. On page 55 is a photograph of Sir Frank Swettenham on the moor at Lowther Castle and on pages 56-57 a group including Captain Duff, Sir Frank Swettenham, Ex-King Manoel of Portugal and their host, Lord Lonsdale.
- Archival Object 19
- Collection 1
- Asia (continent) 16
- Malaysia (nation) 16
- West Malaysia (division (national)) 7
- Kelantan (state) 4
- Kuala Lumpur (federal territory) 3
- Kuala Lumpur (inhabited place) 3
- Malay Archipelago (general region) 3
- Perak (state) 3
- British Isles (island group) 2
- England (country) 2
- Europe (continent) 2
- Great Britain (island) 2
- Kuala Kangsar (inhabited place) 2
- United Kingdom (nation) 2
- Borneo (island) 1
- Cumbria (county) 1
- Indonesia (nation) 1
- Kedah (state) 1
- London (inhabited place) 1
- Selangor (state) 1
- Singapore (inhabited place) 1
- Singapore (nation) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.