Selangor succession, 1935-04 - 1937-03
Scope and Contents
This file contains material relating to the controversy over the succession of the state of Selangor. In response to direction from the British Government, the Sultan of Selangor, Alauddin Sulaiman Shah, passed over his eldest son and heir, Tengku Musa Eddin, in favour of his third son, Hisamuddin Alam Shah, who succeeded him in 1938. The file includes:
1. ‘The charge against the Raja Muda’, which explains why the British Government considered him to be an unsuitable successor (4 sheets).
2. The draft of a letter written to the Colonial Office by the Association of British Malaya commenting upon the British Government’s actions, published in ‘British Malaya’ Nov. 1936 (3 sheets).
3. The draft of the article ‘The Selangor Succession: the facts recorded’ expressing the views of the Association, published in ‘British Malaya’ Dec. 1936 (8 sheets).
4. An article on the succession question published in ‘Cavalcade’, 20 Feb. 1937 (1 sheet).
5. ‘Memorial presented on behalf of His Highness Tungku Badar Shah… concerning his right and claim to be appointed Raja Muda of Selangor’ written by Roland Braddell, which sets out the sultan’s second son’s claims to the throne (31 sheets).
6. Copy of Parliamentary Debates, House of Commons, v. 318, no. 16, 24 Nov. 1936, containing the written answer to a question concerning the appointment of a successor (208 pages).
7. A letter from Jan. 1937 discussing the sultan’s selection of a new British Resident of Selangor following T.S. Adams’s transfer to Northern Nigeria (2 sheets).
8. Related correspondence including letters by Oliver Marks, Secretary of the Association of British Malaya, Sir Frank Swettenham, Roland Braddell, A.G. Morkill and others (36 sheets).
- 1935-04 - 1937-03
Conditions Governing Access
Due to the fragile state of many of these papers, users must consult microfilm copies where available.
1 file(s) (1 file) : paper
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Alauddin, Sulaiman Shah, 1865 - 1938 (Sultan of Selangor)
- Asia (continent)
- Hisamuddin, Alam Shah (Sir, d 1960, Knight, Sultan of Selangor)
- Malay Archipelago (general region)
- Malaysia (nation)
- Marks, Oliver, 1866 - 1940
- Selangor (state)
- Swettenham, Frank Athelstane, Sir, 1850-1946 (Knight, colonial administrator)