A short history and description of the Parliament House, Melbourne
Scope and Contents
Printed book illustrated by six photographs purchased in 1904. There is also a lithographed plan and a cross-section elevation.
Victoria's Parliament House was designed by Peter Kerr and J G Knight; building began in 1856 and the first stage was completed in 1860. In 1877 a Royal Commission on the Parliament Buildings with G H Jenkins, author of the book, as Secretary was set up. Further construction was carried out as a result of its recommendations, and in 1885 a tender for the final portion, the west facade (completed in 1892) was accepted.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
6 item(s) (6 images)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The plates are faded, and as a result of buckling of the pages, have become somewhat dusty.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Presented to the Countess of Carnarvon, wife of the former Colonial Secretary, who visited Australia in the course of an Empire tour in 1887-88, by D M Davies, Minister without portfolio, and G H Jenkins, its author, on 9th December 1887.
This collection level description was entered by WS using information from the original typescript catalogue.
- 2006-08-09 14:46:49+00:00
- Language of description
- Script of description