Records of the Cambridge University Graduate Society, 1955 - 1984
Scope and Contents
These are the papers assembled by Mrs M.B. ('Greta') Burkill, first President of Cambridge University Graduate Society. As such they chiefly cover the period from its formal recognition by the University to her resignation in 1968 and document the full range of its operations.
- 1955 - 1984
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
Established by Mrs M.B. ('Greta') Burkill as the Junior Graduate Club in 1955, to provide social amenities and focus for graduate students, the organisation was recognised by the University in 1962 and renamed the Graduate Society. Meeting first in the Smaller Examination Hall, in 1962 the Society was allocated rooms at 9 West Road and in 1963 at 32 Trumpington St. From the mid 1960s, plans for the new University Centre on Granta Place were intended to include provision for the Society. It took up partial residence in 1967, being also accommodated at 12 Mill Lane. The Society's President, Mrs Burkill resigned in 1968. The Society continued to exist until about 1980.
5 archive box(es) : paper
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This material was transferred to the University Archives on permanent loan by Mrs M.B. Burkill, first President of the Graduate Society, in November 1980. The obituary of Mrs Burkill was transferred after 1984.
The online catalogue was completed in June 2005.
DateText: bulk 1962-8.
Cambridge University Graduate Society
Finding aid date