Property letters from Tientsin to Shanghai, 19 Nov. 1945-16 Oct. 1952
Scope and Contents
Copies of property letters from Jardine Matheson, Tientsin, to Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Nos P.8-14 from A.E. Smith to R. Gordon and H.H. Lennox, 19 November-19 December 1945.
2. Nos P.15-40 from L.G. Frost and M.L. Railton to J.H. Keswick (mainly) and H.H. Lennox, 7 January-17 December 1946.
3. Nos P.41-52 from H.H. Tod to J.H. Keswick, 3 July-30 December 1947.
4. Nos P.53-63 from L.G. Frost and H.H. Tod to J.H. Keswick, 7 January-9 December 1948.
5. Nos P.1-16 from L.G. Frost to J.H. Keswick, 15 March-7 December 1949.
6. Nos P.17, from L.G. Frost to J.H. Keswick, 9 May 1950, and P.18-19, from Alex Kidd to J.H. Keswick, 30 August 1950 and 19 September 1950.
7. Nos P.1-13 from Alex Kidd to R. Gordon, J.H. Keswick and H.H. Lennox, 31 March-31 December 1951.
8. Nos P.1-5 from Alex Kidd to R. Gordon, H.H. Lennox and the Property Department, 4 January-16 October 1952.
The subjects covered include the Ewo Lodge; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd godowns; Lots Nos 11, 15 and 17; office building; Peking office; Peking residence; staff residences; Tientsin Bund leases; title deeds; Tongku bungalow; Tongku Lot No. 5; United States Marine Corps leases; and the Mrs Hilda Waller Estate. The ring-binder is labelled 'File I'.
- 19 Nov. 1945-16 Oct. 1952
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012.
Existence and Location of Copies
J2/30, J2/35 and J2/38 contain copies of many of the letters of 1948-1952.
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Kidd, Alexander, 1895-1956 (businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Railton, Manning Leonard, 1895-1962 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Tod, Henry Hector, b 1907 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org