Property letters from Shanghai to Tientsin, 24 Oct. 1945-29 Sep. 1952
Scope and Contents
Copies of property letters from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Tientsin, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Nos P.1-8 from R. Gordon, H.H. Lennox and F.A. Pollock to A.E. Smith, 24 October-19 December 1945.
2. Nos P.9-30 from J.H. Keswick (mainly) and H.H. Lennox to L.G. Frost and M.L. Railton, 7 January-14 December 1946.
3. Nos P.31-48 from J.H. Keswick, H.H. Lennox and F.A. Pollock to L.G. Frost and (mainly) H.H. Tod, 10 March-30 December 1947.
4. Nos P.49-59 from J.H. Keswick and F.A. Pollock to L.G. Frost and H.H. Tod, 7 January-29 December 1948.
5. Nos P.1-14 from J.H. Keswick to L.G. Frost, 15 January-15 December 1949.
6. Nos P.1-5 from J.H. Keswick to L.G. Frost and Alex Kidd, 11 January-5 September 1950.
7. Nos P.1-15 from I.D. Bruce, R. Gordon and H.H. Lennox to Alex Kidd, 5 April-29 November 1951.
8. Nos P.16-26 from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Tientsin, 7 January-29 September 1952. Three letters are signed by either R. Gordon or H.H. Lennox, and two letters are addressed to Alex Kidd.
The subjects covered include the Ewo Lodge; exchange rates; Hankow property; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd's Tientsin godowns; Jardine Estate, Hankow; Lot No. 11, Tientsin; Peking house; staff residences; Tientsin property; title deeds; Tongku; Tongku Lot No. 5; U.S. Marine Corps leases; and the Hilda Waller Estate, Tientsin. The folder is labelled 'File I'.
- 24 Oct. 1945-29 Sep. 1952
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 folder(s) (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012.
Existence and Location of Copies
J2/30, J2/35 and J2/38 contain copies of many of the property letters of 1948-1952.
- Bruce, Ian Denholm, 1912-1966 (businessman)
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Kidd, Alexander, 1895-1956 (businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Railton, Manning Leonard, 1895-1962 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Tod, Henry Hector, b 1907 (businessman)