Property correspondence between Hong Kong and Shanghai and Tientsin, 1950-1951
Scope and Contents
Property correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Tientsin, and Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Original letters nos P.1-12 from Alex Kidd, Tientsin, to J.H. Keswick (mainly) and D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 8 January-21 December 1951.
2. Original letters nos P.1, from L.G. Frost, Tientsin, to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 19 January 1950, and P.2-3, from Alex Kidd, Tientsin, to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 15 November 1950 and 6 December 1950.
3. Copies of letters nos P.1-15 from J.H. Keswick (mainly), D.F. Landale and E.F. Watts, Hong Kong, to Alex Kidd, Tientsin, 12 June-8 December 1951.
4. Copies of letters nos P.1-5 from D.F. Landale, H.H. Tod and E.F. Watts, Hong Kong, to L.G. Frost and Alex Kidd, Tientsin, 3 January-18 December 1950.
1. Copies of letters nos P.1-3, 9 and 13 from Alex Kidd, Tientsin, to R. Gordon and H.H. Lennox, Shanghai, 31 January-31 December 1951. Nos 4-8 and 10-12 have been transferred to other files, but there are sheets listing their contents.
2. Copies of letters nos P.17, from L.G. Frost, Tientsin, to J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, 9 May 1950, and P.18-19, from Alex Kidd, Tientsin, to J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, 30 August 1950 and 19 September 1950.
3. Copies of letters nos P.1, 2 and 8 from H.H. Lennox, Shanghai, to Alex Kidd, Tientsin, 5 April 1951, 5 June 1951 and 7 September 1951. Nos 3-7 and 9-15 have been transferred to other files, but there are sheets listing their contents.
4. Copies of letters nos P.1-5 from J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, to L.G. Frost and Alex Kidd, Tientsin, 11 January-5 September 1950.
The subjects covered include the confiscation of Tientsin Race Club land; the acquisition of a house in Peking; land taxes; Lot No. 11; Peking residence; shipping godowns - Lot No. 15; Tientsin Agency business licence; Tientsin Bund leases; Tientsin properties; title deeds for Tientsin properties; Tongku Property - Lot No. 5; and the Hilda Waller Estate.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
Existence and Location of Copies
J2/45 contains copies of most of the property letters from Hong Kong to Tientsin; J2/55 contains copies of the letters from Tientsin to Hong Kong.
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Kidd, Alexander, 1895-1956 (businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Tod, Henry Hector, b 1907 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)