Semi-official correspondence of Hong Kong and Shanghai with outports, 1949-1955
Scope and Contents
Semi-official correspondence of Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, with the company's agencies in Canton, Chungking, Foochow, Hankow, Swatow, Tientsin and Tsingtao, with enclosed letters and papers. The main correspondents are H.D.M. Barton, Thomas Beesley, A.M. d'Oliveira, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, S.R. Hawke, M.J. Henderson, W.S. Ho, A.G. Jacobs, J.H. Keswick, Alex Kidd, Conant Lee, D.F. Landale, H.H. Lennox, P.J. Marques, C.F. Stockar, T.C. Wang, S.J. Ward, E.F. Watts, W.J. Wu, Jack Yuan and Yew Ah Kow.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
17 volume(s) (17 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Beesley, Thomas, b 1905
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Hawke, Stanley Robert, 1914-1976 (businessman)
- Henderson, Maurice James, b 1900 (businessman)
- Jacobs, Archibald Gordon, 1898-1964 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Kidd, Alexander, 1895-1956 (businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Marques, Pompilio Jose, b 1904 (businessman)
- Oliveira, Alfredo Marques d', b 1923 (businessman)
- Stockar, Charles Felix, b 1899 (businessman)
- Ward, Stanley Johnstone, b 1919 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)
- Wu, Wei-Jou, b 1896