Semi-official correspondence between B.W.I. and Hong Kong and London, 1955-1957
Scope and Contents
Semi-official correspondence of the West Indies Navigation Co. Ltd and Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Caribbean) Ltd, Port of Spain, Trinidad, with Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with enclosed documents. The correspondents are H.D.M. Barton, I.D. Bruce, G.J.P. Carey, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, A. Reid, R.E. Shea, W.E.D. Smith, I.F. Towler and E.F. Watts. The initial correspondence is with R.E. Shea as the representative of the West Indies Navigation Co. Ltd in the British West Indies (B.W.I.). Following the establishment of Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Caribbean) Ltd during 1955, the subsequent correspondence is with this agency. Much of the material relates to the West Indies Navigation Co. Ltd.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
4 volume(s) (4 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bruce, Ian Denholm, 1912-1966 (businessman)
- Carey, Gerald John Probyn, 1917-2007 (businessman)
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Reid, Alan, 1911-1993 (businessman)
- Shea, Raymond Edward, b 1911 (businessman)
- Smith, William Elder Drummond, 1892-1957 (businessman)
- Towler, Ian Frank, b 1926 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)
- West Indies Navigation Co Ltd