Semi-official letters from Chungking to London, 1942-1946
Scope and Contents
Originals and a few copies of semi-official letters from Chungking to Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with two letters from Bombay:
1. Unnumbered letters from D.I. Bosanquet, Jardine Matheson, Chungking, to B.D.F. Beith, 27 June-18 October 1942.
2. Nos 7-11 from D.I. Bosanquet, Jardine Matheson, Chungking, to B.D.F. Beith, 24 November-8 December 1942.
3. Nos 26, 27, 30, 34, 44, 48, 49, 52, 55, 56, 58, 63, 76, 83 and 100 from D.I. Bosanquet, E.H. Brazel and W.S. Dupree, Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd/Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd, Chungking, to Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 4 January-12 August 1943.
4. Semi-official letters from Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd/Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd, Chungking, to B.D.F. Beith: nos 1-44 from W.S. Dupree, 29 January-15 December 1943, and 45-59 from G.P. Charlton, 22 December 1943-14 April 1944.
5. Nos 1-2 from H.H. Lennox, Jardine Matheson, Bombay, to B.D.F. Beith, 24 March-7 April 1944.
6. Nos 3-114 from H.H. Lennox, Jardine Matheson, Chungking, to B.D.F. Beith and W.J. Keswick, 28 April 1944-19 September 1945.
7. Nos 115-121 from H.Y. Hsu, Jardine Matheson, Chungking, to W.J. Keswick, 19 September-1 November 1945.
8. Nos 122-127 from A. Wright, Jardine Matheson, Chungking, to W.J. Keswick, 22 November 1945-16 November 1946.
There are also enclosed letters and papers, including some letters from Jardine Matheson, Kunming, to Jardine Matheson, Chungking.
There is an index at the beginning of the ring-binder containing the following entries:
A: Aviation; J.T. Asquith; Alliance Assurance Co.; Associated Electrical Industries; 'Atlanta'; Advertising; Agencies; Annual Accounts; Air Transport China/Assam; Accounts.
B: Bristles; British & Chinese Corporation; Burma Road; Butterfield & Swire; Mr Bernhardt; Mr Bagwell; H.A. Brassert & Co. Ltd; B.D.F. Beith; British Trade in China; British Merchant Shipping Act; British Exports; Burma; Bombay.
C: Correspondence; China National Aviation Corporation; China Association; Chamber of Commerce; Central Trust of China; China (General); Cotton Yarn Caravan; Consular Title Deeds; Commodity Enquiries; Chungking; China Utilities Corporation; Chinese Seamen's Union; Commercial Counsellor, Chungking (J.C. Hutchison); Chang Kia-ngau; Chinese National Relief and Rehabilitation Administration; Cigarette Paper; K.P. Chen; S.C. Chu; Admiral Chen Shao Kwan (Shao-kuan); Calcutta; Chun Ho.
D: Delegates to Business Conference in U.S.A; D.C. Ltd; Delhi; W.S. Dupree.
E: Ewo Brewery; Exchange; 'Economist'; Ewo Cotton Mills; Ewo Cold Store; Egg Trade.
F: Finance; Foochow; Far Eastern Shipping Agency Association.
G: Gallnuts; Henry Gittins; George Grant (Shanghai & Hongkew Wharf); Greenwoods.
H: Hides; Hong Kong; Hydro-Electric Scheme; Hankow; William Hunt & Co.; H.Y. Hsu; J.C. Hutchison, Commercial Counsellor, Chungking; Howe Scales.
I: Indo-China Steam Navigation Co.; Insurance (not Alliance Insurance Co.); India-China Pipe Line; Imports into China; India.
J: Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd; Jardine Engineering Corporation; Jardine Skinner & Co.; Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Burma) Ltd; Joint Enterprises in China; Jardine, Matheson & Co. (India) Ltd.
K: J.H. Keswick; Kunming; W.J. Keswick; Knitting Wools; H.H. Kung; Wellington Koo.
L: Harold Lee; H.H. Lennox; Fatuan Lee; Ifeng Lok.
M: Ministry of Supply; Ming Sung Deng Co.
N: National Industrial Union Corporation; Nanchang Waterworks & Electric Light Scheme; Newton Smith; New York; P.Y. Nash.
P: Pacific War; Major W. Petro; Property; Post War Trading; Pekin Syndicate; Political; F.A. Pollock; Public Utilities Development Co.; Platt Bros; Piece Goods; Frederick Palmer (Commercial Counsellor, Canadian Embassy, Chungking).
R: Registration of Foreign Enterprises in Free China; Reiss Bradley; Rangoon.
S: Staff; Shipping; Silk; Shanghai; Swatow; Stabilisation Board; Szechuan Sericultural Co.; Shanghai & Hongkew Wharf; S.V. Sherbin; T.V. Soong; Steel Bros.
T: Tung Oil; Z.T. Tsang; Tientsin; Textile Machinery; Tibet Caravan Route; Telephone Telegraph & Radio Systems in China; Textiles (Post War Business); T.K. Tseng; Timber Business; Tea; Tinsley Wire Industries Ltd; Major Trevor; W.F. Tseh; Tsu Yee Pei.
U: U.S. $ War Savings Certificates; United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration.
V: Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd.
W: Wood Oil; Wool Cloth; Woollen Industry; The War.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012.
Existence and Location of Copies
J1/91/1 includes copies of letters nos 30, 48, 52, 55, 56, 58, 63, 76 and 83 from Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd/Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd to Matheson & Co. Ltd, 1943, as well as other letters from that series not found in J1/80.
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Brazel, Edmund Hamilton, 1913-2001
- Charlton, Geoffrey Philip, b 1914 (businessman)
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Hsu, Hou Yu, b 1900 (businessman)
- Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Wright, Arthur, b 1880 (businessman)