Semi-official correspondence between Shanghai and the ports, 1918-1921
Scope and Contents
Copies of correspondence and other papers enclosed originally with semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, of January 1919-January 1921. The documents are arranged into sections corresponding to the semi-official letter with which they were sent, and each section is preceded by a list of contents. The principal part of the enclosures is comprised of semi-official correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, and the agents and representatives of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd in ports in China and elsewhere, as well as with Matheson & Co. Ltd, London. The remaining enclosures include correspondence of Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, with other correspondents; other semi-official correspondence, some of it enclosed with semi-official letters to Shanghai, including correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Chungking and Hankow, and from S.F. Mayers, British & Chinese Corporation, Peking, to G. Jamieson, British & Chinese Corporation Ltd, London; additional letters; memoranda; monthly agency business reports; and inward and outward telegrams.
The correspondents in the semi-official correspondence with Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, are G.S. Aveyard, C. Barraclough, J.W. Bateman, B.D.F. Beith, John Bell-Irving, D.G.M. Bernard, G.H. Bowker, F.H. Bugbird, C. Chicken, W.S. Dupree, W. Ford, W. Galloway, F.W. Gotch, H.S. Hills, P.S. Jameson, John Johnstone, Henry Keswick, W.H.T. King, William Laidlaw, David Landale, H.H. Lennox, D.R. Mackenzie, James McGuffog, D. Duncan Main, J.F. Owen, E.C. Peters, G. Purton, E.U. Reid, A.R. Riddle, Andrew Ross, C.H. Ross, W.W.G. Ross, A. Brooke Smith, A.E. Smith, J.C. Taylor, C.B. Tweedy and C.B. Wortley.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
10 volume(s) (10 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J23
- Aveyard, George Shaw, d 1929
- Barraclough, Charles, d 1938
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Bowker, George Henry, b 1887 (businessman)
- Bugbird, Frederick Harry, 1862-1949 (businessman)
- Chicken, Charles, d 1923 (businessman)
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Ford, William Richard Colin, 1868-1942 (businessman)
- Galloway, William, b 1887 (businessman)
- Irving, John Bell-, 1846-1925 (businessman)
- Jameson, George Moncrieff, b c 1890
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- King, Wilfred Henry Tindal, 1885-1965 (businessman)
- Laidlaw, William, b c 1884
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Mackenzie, David Roderick, 1883-1957 (businessman)
- McGuffog, James, d 1956
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)
- Ross, Andrew, b 1877 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)
- Taylor, John Cameron, 1890-1950 (businessman)
- Tweedy, C.B., b 1887 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org