Semi-official correspondence between Hong Kong and Kobe and Yokohama, 1918-1938
Scope and Contents
1. J1/10/1-17 contain a numbered set of original semi-official letters from Kobe (1925-1928) and Yokohama (1918-1924 and 1928-1933) to Hong Kong. During this period, the responsibility for the numbered semi-official correspondence alternated between the two branches. There are also some unnumbered original semi-official letters from Kobe to Hong Kong for the years 1923-1925.
2. J1/10/17-21 contain separate series of numbered original semi-official letters from Kobe (1934-1938) and Yokohama (1934) to Hong Kong. The Yokohama office closed in 1934, after which the Kobe branch assumed the sole responsibility for the numbered semi-official correspondence with Hong Kong (see semi-official letter no. 3 from Hong Kong to Kobe, 27 June 1934, in J1/10/17, for further details).
The volumes also include copies of semi-official letters from Hong Kong to Yokohama, 1930-1934 (J1/10/13-17), and Kobe, 1934-1938 (J1/10/17-21).
The letters from Japan contain many enclosures, including copies of semi-official correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Kobe and Yokohama, and between Kobe and Yokohama and the company's offices in Hankow, Harbin, London, New York, Shanghai, Shimonoseki, Shizuoka and Tokyo; copies of telegrams; market reports; monthly business reports; memoranda; and newscuttings.
The correspondents are C.E. Anton, B.D.F. Beith, R.G. Bell, D.G.M. Bernard, F.H. Bugbird, C. Chicken, John Johnstone, W.J. Keswick, David Landale, O.V. Lanning, A. McDonald, J.J. Paterson, H.F. Scudamore, A.E. Smith and A.B. Stewart.
Conditions Governing Access
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
21 volume(s) (21 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bell, Robert Gowland, c 1887-1952 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Bugbird, Frederick Harry, 1862-1949 (businessman)
- Chicken, Charles, d 1923 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Lanning, Oswald Victor, b 1881 (businessman)
- McDonald, Alistair, b 1897 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Scudamore, Herbert Fawckner, d 1938 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)