Sheba G.M. Co. General view of Cyanide work, Battery, Mine etc. looking up Sheba Valley, De Kaap G. Fields, 1900 - 1910
Scope and Contents
206 x 152 mm. A general view showing the plant and workings of the Sheba Gold Mining Company. The Sheba mine was discovered in 1884 by the brothers Barber after whom the town was named, '...one of the two, while at rest on trek, crashed his hammer on a rock by which he sat. Knowing something of geology, he immediately saw that the exposed quartz was exceptionally rich in the metal of which they were all in search. His thoughtless stroke was the nucleus of the famous Sheba mine, which, during its life, has given a phenomenal yield. This discovery and the attendant results, in a few months developed a township that, naturally enough, came to be known as Barberton and with marvellous rapidity buildings sprang up in straggling street form, the uneven thoroughfares being constantly thronged by eager seekers after fortune.' L.V. Praagh, 'The Transvaal and its mines' (1906), p.360.
- 1900 - 1910
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
DateText: The date is approximate.
Finding aid date
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org