Lee, Thomas, fl. 1893-1899 (photographer)
- Existence: fl. 1893 - 1899
Thomas Lee was a commercial photographer active in South Africa. From circa 1893 to 1899 he had a studio in Barberton, Mpumalanga (Bensusan 1963, p.240).
Bensusan, A.D. (1963), '19th century photographers in South Africa'. 'Africana notes and news'. Volume 15, number 6, pp.219-252.
Found in 21 Collections and/or Records:
154 x 208 mm. A view looking along a small stream running through thick woodland, with two figures standing among the vegetation.
204 x 151 mm. A view from surrounding hillside looking down on the town of Barberton in the eastern Transvaal. Founded in 1884, Barberton was the centre of the De Kaap Goldfields which up to about 1887 produced several million pounds worth of gold. After that date gold mining activity fell off.
205 x 152 mm. Showing a group of miners standing beside wooden sluicing equipment near a stream in an extensively excavated patch of land.
206 x 149 mm. A view looking down on the scattered homesteads of Barberton, with a range of hills in the background.
207 x 151 mm. A view looking along Crown Street with the junction with President Street in the foreground and the premises of A.L. Murray and Co. at the left of the photograh. Pedestrians and dogs stand on the unsurfaced roadway.
208 x 152 mm. Showing cascades and rapids on the Elands River near Waterval Boven.
210 x 148 mm. Showing the gauging weir and reservoir at the White River Settlement. The village of White River in the eastern Transvaal was founded by Lord Milne's Government in 1904 as the centre for an irrigation settlement for demobilised British soldiers. Since that time it has become one of the most important citrus growing centres.
205 x 151 mm. A view looking across a valley towards gold working on the steep hillside opposite.
206 x 152 mm. Showing a section of the Laurenco Marques Railway Line near Waterval Onder passing under an overhanging cliff face, with the Elands River at the right of the print.
208 x 145 mm. Showing a cascade and rapids on the river.
206 x 151 mm. A view from a hillside looking down into a steep valley gorge with hills and steep rockface on the farther side.
207 x 152 mm. A general view of Lorenco Marques from the sandhills behind the town. The Old Armoury stands in the foreground with the wharf area and harbour beyond.
203 x 151 mm. A view looking over a hilly landscape , with a track leading from a building on the summit of a steep hill down into the valley.
205 x 152 mm. A view looking along the wide unsurfaced street with the premises of Chester and Co. in the left foreground and an unidentified building with a small onion-shaped dome futher down.
205 x 153 mm. Showing rapids on the Crocodile River in the eastern Transvaal pouring over a massive formation of broken rocks. This is not the Limpopo, also known as the Crocodile River.
206 x 155 mm. A view looking down from a hillside on to the two huts of a South African Constablary post in the middle distance. Founded under the command of Major General Sir Robert Baden-Powell in 1900, this was a semi-military force used for the policing of the former Boer Republics. It was later merged with the Tranvaal Police.
Sheba G.M. Co. General view of Cyanide work, Battery, Mine etc. looking up Sheba Valley, De Kaap G. Fields, 1900 - 1910
153 x 206 mm. A view looking down on to the face of the waterfall on the Elands River after which Waterval Boven and Waterval Onder are named.
206 x 148 mm. A view looking down on a curving section of track climbing the side of a steep hill on the Laurenco Marques line near Waterval Onder. The tunnel in the sheer cliff face can be seen in the background. The line here features a central rack meshed into cogs on the underside of the locomotive to provide purchase on the steep gradient. The only rack railway in South Africa, it became obsolete with the advent of more powerful engines.
206 x 147 mm. Showing the rack railway running between sheer rock faces towards the entrance to the tunnel near Waterval Boven. Founded as a railway camp around 1894, Waterval Boven was used by the Boers as a prisoner of war camp in the South African war.