Scope and Contents
From the Management Group:
The category - Student administration and support records - comprises records relating to student admissions at all levels, graduate students, visiting senior scholars, student careers advice and welfare, together with the records of clubs and societies.
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The club was founded on 11 March 1837 at the instigation of Charles Cardale Babington (1808-1895, then a student at St John's College), John James Smith (Gonville and Caius College), and William Haughton Stokes (Gonville and Caius College). Babington, club secretary for fifty-five years, viewed the club as the natural successor to the botanical and zoological discussions that John Stevens Henslow (1796-1861) had encouraged by hosting Friday evening soirées for his students. Henslow was also of St. John's College, and he and Babington successively held the position of professor of botany (1826-61 and 1861-95 respectively). The name of the club refers to John Ray (1627-1705), naturalist and theologian. It drew its membership primarily, though not exclusively, from senior members. It was self-selecting and limited in number. There were numerous notable members including geologist Adam Sedgwick, biblical scholar and theologian Fenton John Anthony Hort , and physicists George Gabriel Stokes and Joseph John Thomson (all of Trinity College).
1 linear metre(s) (1 metre) : paper
Language of Materials