Helwan Observatory, Egypt
Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:
Correspondence regarding the Helwan Observatory, Egypt, and correspondence with Dr M.R. Madwar concerning eclipse expeditions.
Helwan and Kottamia Observatories and Saudi Arabia Telescope Project: papers of M. Dermody, 1965 - 1968
Comprises: diary-like itinerary by M. Dermody of a visit to Helwan and Kottamia Observatories, Egypt; 'Report on instruments at Helwan Observatory inspected at the request of the Director, April 1965'; photocopies of rough designs by Grubb-Parsons for the 74" reflector [Kottamia]; notes on cases for Saudi Arabia and equipment being conveyed to the University of Riyadh.
Files concerning RGO involvement with Helwan Observatory and Kottamia Observatory, Egypt and their inspection of the 74" Telescope and other instruments. Kottamia Observatory was established in 1964 as an extension to Helwan Observatory, which was established in 1903. The 74" Telescope was built by Grubb Parsons Ltd. and saw first light at Kottamia in 1964.
A letter from Sir Richard Woolley to R.H. Stoy regarding a proposed joint programme between the Royal Greenwich Observatory and the new 74-inch telescope at Kuttamia (a branch of Helwan Observatory) to measure radial velocities, including observations of short period variables.