Skip to main content

Helwan and Kottamia Observatories, Egypt: Papers, 1965, 1976-1977

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 135/2

Scope and Contents

Files concerning RGO involvement with Helwan Observatory and Kottamia Observatory, Egypt and their inspection of the 74" Telescope and other instruments. Kottamia Observatory was established in 1964 as an extension to Helwan Observatory, which was established in 1903. The 74" Telescope was built by Grubb Parsons Ltd. and saw first light at Kottamia in 1964.


  • Creation: 1965, 1976-1977


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


2 folder(s)

Related Materials

See also papers of Mick Dermody, RGO engineering foreman, concerning his work at Helwan and Kottamia Observatories in 1965-1968 (RGO 91/4-5), with related diary entries (RGO 91/1/8-11).

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom