Lucknow (inhabited place)
Found in 206 Collections and/or Records:
297 x 238 mm. View showing a section of the north part of the Residency Cemetery. The grave of Brigadier General James George Smith Neill (1810-1857) and others is at the left. Sir Henry Lawrence (1806-1857) is buried to the right, behind the graves of Revd. Polehampton and his son, and Colour Sergeant Richard Springate. Other graves in the area can be identified from the plan in Edward Hilton, 'The tourists' guide to Lucknow' (5th edn., 1905).Bourne no. 1064.
295 x 212rnm. Duplicate of Y3022G 75. No. 1052.
An album, labelled on the spine, containing prints of various sizes. The numbering is sequenced from 1 to 131, but 101 is omitted. 14 of these prints are loose (118-131) , and are kept in a separate envelope in the album. Some of the prints are good quality professional work. Some of the photographs are captioned in ink; in other cases the titles have been derived from duplicate copies in Davies' other Indian album or from other photographs of the same scenes.
277x211mm. View from the pavilion on the north wall of the Husainabad Imambara enclosure looking south-west across the garden towards the west copy of the Taj Mahal.
271x210mm. View showing the highly-decorated triple gateway of the Husainabad, with bazaar stalls in the foreground. The bazaar, known as the Gelo Khana ('decorated place'), was situated in the outermost precinct of the Husainabad.
Half-plate (landscape format). The Mosque where the ammunition was kept.
A description of Diana Hartley's journey from Nagpur through Jhansi, Cawnpore, Benares, Patna, Allahabad, Lucknow and Agra to Delhi, November-December 1935 (pp. 1-11), and of a journey through Calcutta, Nagpur, Chanda, Bombay, Suraj and Baroda, July-August 1935 (pp. 11-25).
Half-plate. Tomb of Nawab Asfa Doulah (skewed in order to be in direction of Meca) silver over wood/The Tasiah used for Maharam processions. (Fisher).
241x188mm. View of the Iron Bridge which crosses the Gumti north-west of the Residency. The bridge is composed of three iron spans resting on masonry piers. The ironwork was sent out from England in 1798 but was not finally erected for a further forty years when it was completed by Colonel Fraser of the Bengal Engineers between 1841-44.
239x190mm. View showing the eastern gate of the Kaiser Bagh Palace. Built by the last King of Oudh Wajid Ali Shah (reigned 1847-56).
248x188mm. General view of the Kaiser Pasund, part of the Kaiser Bagh complex and also known as the Raushan-ud-daula Kothi. The building, which in general form bears some resemblance to the main block of La Martiniere, was built by Raushan-ud-daula, Prime Minister to Nasir-ud-din Haidar (reigned 1827-37).
Half-plate. (Old red stucco looking rosy in sunlight; gilded cupola). [Group of Indians standing in front of building].