Found in 110 Collections and/or Records:
276 x 208 mm. A view looking along an outer wall towards a bastion, with a wooden bridge crossing the moat (drained in 1922) to a gateway into the fort. Fort Cornwallis replaced the stockade erected by Captain Light for the defence of the settlement, but by the later years of the century its defensive importance had waned and its main use was as a signal station.
133 x 79 mm. A photographic copy of William Daniell's aquatint from Captain Robert Smith's painting. The view looks across Pulau Tikus Bay and George Town towards Kedah on the mainland.
153 x 79 m. A photographic copy of William Daniell's aquatint from Captain Robert Smith's painting. The view looks towards Pulau Jerajak and the mainland.
270 x 209 mm. A view looking along an almost dry stream bed towards the small bridge and wooded hillside. Photograph possibly taken at the same location as BAM 10/51.
144 x 100 mm. A view showing the stone viaduct on Penang Hill, with the line curving away up the hill in the background.
Penang [i.e. Georgetown] [View from Penang Hill looking over settlement towards Province Wellesley mainland], 1925 - 1927
101 x 133 mm.
Distant view from sea.
200 x 255 mm. Watercolour.
149 x 108 mm. Showing a group of European men examining rifles in the foreground, with the lady competitors seated beyond. The figures in the group have not been identified.
156 x 111 mm. Showing a group of ladies in the firing position, with spectators and judges standing behind.
283 x 207 mm. View looking down onto the beach towards the clubhouse.
270 x 209 mm. A view looking north-east along the waterfront towards the jetty. With small sailing boats in the foreground.
270 x 209 mm.
This section includes archives received at a later date from Hugh Bryson and some items acquired directly by the Royal Commonwealth Society.
206 x 154 mm. A view from the river bank looking towards the pontoon bridge across the Prai River, Province Wellesley. Exact location unidentified.
102 x 73 mm. A view looking along an unidentified waterfront, with Malay houses on stilts in the background.
152 x 101 mm. Showing a buffalo, controlled by a Chinese farmer, ploughing a paddy field.
210 x 155 mm. A general view of the lighthouse neighbouring buildings on the small island of Pulau Rimau which lies off the extreme south east tip of Penang Island. From the piles of building material and newly cleared bush still in evidence, the photograph would appear to have been taken around 1883. The lighthouse was built between 1881-1883 and the light erected the following year (Straits Settlements Blue Books, 1881-1884).
Peach’s account of his career as a teacher and missionary. Subjects include descriptions of his living and working conditions, the contribution of his wife Norah Nelson, standards of education, the contribution of Christian schools to Malay life, the growth of the school system and its Asian leadership, inter-faith cooperation, evacuation from Malaya during the Second World War, public health, political changes and the many friendships he formed with British colleagues (24 sheets).
Extracts from the diaries and letters of Miss Ella Christie describing her travels to the Malay Archipelago made by Hugh Bryson:
1. 'Malaya in 1904' (17 sheets; 2 copies).
2. 'Kuching in 1904' (6 sheets; 2 copies). The file also contains an offprint from its publication in the 'Sarawak Museum Journal', 10 (1961), 43-49.
138 x 88. A view looking along the curving driveway towards the (?) east façade of the Residency.
276 x 209 mm. Another view of the road leading out to the Penang Waterfall, with hack gharries parked in the foreground
277 x 208 mm. A view looking along a tree-lined pathway which runs up to the east entrance to St Xaviers Church, situated just south of the Protestant and Roman Catholic cemeteries in the area bounded by Northam Road, Penang Road, Argyle Road and Transfer Road. Date of construction unknown.