Found in 110 Collections and/or Records:
205 x 154 mm. A view looking across the wooded gardens towad the Government Bungalow (partially obscured by trees).
206 x 140 mm. General view, with steamers and small boats.
220 x 152 mm. Showing a locomotive pulling out of the station at Prai in Province Wellesley. The train is composed of Thai State Railway coaches and one Malayan Railway sleeping coach.
281 x 208 mm. A view looking along King Street which runs north-east from Chulia Street to the corner of the Padang at Light Street. This view shows the north-east section with the Padang and the sea just visible in the background.
212 x 158 mm. A view looking down, probably from the base of the lighthouse onto the long, single storied wooden building with verandah and tiled roof. Muka is situated at the extreme north-west tip of Penang Island. A photograph probably taken shortly after the completion of these buildings in 1884 (Straits Settlements Blue Book, 1884).
These letters are largely a record of Cameron's domestic arrangements and social life, with some mention of his work inspecting or supervising the construction of roads, bridges, buildings, lighthouses, and the harbour and defences of Singapore. They also briefly describe his appointment as president of a commission set up in 1890-91 to advise upon the supply of labour. The letters from 1891 narrate a visit to China and Japan (circa 250 sheets).
Letters containing Ursula Holttum's account of her return to Singapore after leaving it in 1940 soon after the outbreak of the Second World War (28 sheets).
276 x 208 mm. A view looking along Light Street which runs west from Fort Cornwallis and along the Esplanade. The precise section of the street here shown has not been located.
'The log book of Capt. John Edwards, R.N. Given to Robert Stafford Edwards by his Aunt Miss Jane Edwards 1880. Solihull. Warwickshire.'
208 x 155 mm. A view looking along the unkempt garden towards the thatched and verandahed bungalow. Posed in front of the building are a European family (unidentified) and Indian servants. Lomond Bungalow was situated on the northern end of Penang (or Government) Hill.
208 x 154 mm. A view looking along the main street which is lined with low thatched houses, beneath the verandahs of which are traders and their wares. Beyond is a European building (? possibly the hospital built 1883). Balik Pulau is situated in the centre of Penang.
Coloured oilette postcards of Malaya by Raphael Tuck and Sons Ltd. marked 'Series II', but not separately numbered.
227 x 191 mm. Studio portrait.
284 x 185 mm. View looking along the Esplanade at Penang from Court Cornwallis with the Municipal Buildings on the far side of the cricket ground, and the Town Hall (partially obscured by trees) to the left.
274 x 208 mm. A view looking westwards and along Northern Road with the Lartut Road junction in the left middleground. The road leading off to the right probably goes to the Telegraph Office and the Penang Club.
217 x 285 mm. A view of the lower section of Penang Waterfall, situated in the gardens at the foot of Penang Hill. Photograph probably by M.A. Cameron.
A view looking along a Chinese street.
272 x 206 mm. A view looking along Beach Street which runs NE-SW parallel to the waterfront and behind Victoria Street and Weld Quay. In the right foreground a three storey building houses G. Izolphe's hairdressing saloon, the Grand Hotel, the Pilots Club and Abdoul Sanat, watch-makers; these premises were later taken over by Kennedy and Co. Further down the street are the offices of the Pinang Gazette press, which in the left foreground are the Criterion Tiffin and Billiard Rooms.
Correspondence between Donald Simpson, D. C. L. Wilson, Executive Director of the Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce, and R. P. S. Walker, regarding the history of the Penang Chamber of Commerce (10 sheets).
The collection includes:
1. Official appointment by the East India Company of John Alexander Bannerman as Governor of Prince of Wales Island (Penang), 1817.
2. Letter of notification and official appointment of William Edward Phillips to succeed Bannerman, 1820.
3. Miscellaneous items associated with Phillips, 1819-26, chiefly relating to his appointment as governor and his retirement in 1824.